2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear Brakes Groan/Squeak/???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 10:10 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Brakes Groan/Squeak/???

This be on my '02 with rear disc; every time when I press the brake pedal I hear a groan/squeak, sounds like a spring being stretched. Located sound to be coming from both rear calipers.
I took them off and only source to me was the anti-squeal thin metal brackets in the calipers....there is no spring except for the parking brake. Applying the parking brake does not make the noise.

Anyone else have/had this? Any solution other than replacing the pieces?

Thanks,

Old 09-20-2018, 02:18 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

That kind of sounds is common for a:
  • worn off brake pads, when the steel base is scratching the drum/rotor or
  • uneven surface of a brake pad/drum/rotor where the brake pad is applied
  • bent rotor
You might jack up the wheel and see if it's turning freely (i.e. parking brake mechanism does not mess something).
Since long time ago, the brake pads technology has changed, as the asbestos was banned. They tend to be louder, depending on manufacturer's brand. Have You replaced them recently?

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing that come on my mind. If a bearing is gone, the wheel may be skewed. Applying the brake will push the wheel to a vertical position. But it had to be pretty damaged/neglected to miss that out.
In what circumstances does it all started?

Last edited by Mike.308; 09-20-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:52 PM

Brake pads are still good, about half gone/remaining. Has been several years since the pads/calipers were replaced.
When I investigated the noise I did check to see if either caliper was dragging or anything....both wheels turned fine.
I cleaned and re-greased the caliper slider pins while I was there....made no difference.
Brake pads showed the same amount of wear.

Both sides make the same noise at the same time.

I just noticed the noise one day when backing-up....no repairs or any changes recently. Brakes work just fine, no pulling to either side when braking.

Just makes the "spring sound".....IDK.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:03 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Maybe it's not the calipers then? I can hardly think of another option here...

Old 09-22-2018, 01:01 PM

I agree....really odd. The noise is there only when pressing the brake pedal...vehicle does need to be moving. The noise is there with engine off, until vacuum out of booster is gone.
I am going to take the caliper off, and hold it in my hand and have another press the brake pedal....see what I learn. Going to be awhile before I do this though, gone for next two weeks.

If anyone thinks of something, let me know.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:45 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

So just to be clear, you actually completely removed the calipers and checked them out? I only ask because I've had a very similar sound in the past from the way you describe it. It ended up being a stuck caliper mounting bolt, the ones that allow the caliper to side and float on the mounting bracket, one of which actually broke off when I tried to remove the caliper because moisture got past the little rubber boot and rust seized up the slide pin into the bracket. What was happening was the caliper was only moving in a twisting motion because only one side of the caliper was actually sliding properly, causing the caliper and bracket to basically rub together when the brakes were applied and make the noise. It was also obvious that the pads were wearing unevenly, as if the caliper was pressing them into the rotor at an angle...

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 09-22-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:28 PM

Yep, I removed both calipers and greased the slide pins...made sure they were both sliding....even removed the thin metal pad clips, swapped them around....creaking/spring noise is still present.
Have yet to remove a caliper and hold in hand, have brake pedal pressed to see what happens....perhaps today.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:20 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Having calipers removed and in hand while someone presses on the brake pedal can and will blow the pistons out of the caliper so be careful just how much pedal pressure is applied

Old 10-13-2018, 10:05 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Couldn't you put a piece of wood in the caliper securely and tie it so it wouldn't pop out? Then have someone press the brake pedal to see if the piston was moving as it should? You would be standing at a safe distance from the caliper when this test was done. I haven't tried this, but I think I read about someone doing this procedure.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:35 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Yes you can. A chunk of 2X4 + or - will prob be enough and prob don't even need to be tied in. The pistons usually don't blow out like a bullet it's just the fact they will come apart and rebuild kits are a real PIA to get anymore

Last edited by odat; 10-13-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes Groan/Squeak/???