2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rear door lock not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:05 PM
reekid is on a distinguished road
Default rear door/ hatch lock not working

I have a 2000 2WD Chevy Blazer, 2 door. It does NOT have keyless entry. The window release button works but the window opens only if someone is there to pull it open. I can hear the parts moving and the lock will unlock/lock the front doors (with key) but I cannot open the window if i am alone. I have taken the door panel off and can see the parts but when i turn the key nothing moves. Should there be a visible part?

Last edited by reekid; 02-17-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: title is incorrect
Old 02-17-2010, 03:06 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

not really.

the guts in the power window sit BEHIND the inner skin. you can peel off the black skin liner/moisture barrier and reach up on the inside and pull on the channels to see if they are loose.

you can take the whole damn thing appart if you lower the window all the way down and pop it out.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:22 PM

I am sorry I forgot to say it had a drop gate and the window lifts up. I have had the panel off but I did not get all the way into the parts are. Could the actuator be weak and just not putting enough pressure to open the window? Isn't the key is supposed to pop the window open? That is why I asked if there was a visable part--I would think that I would hear or see something move when the key is turned. Has anyone had anything like this happen? Any ideas what to try?

Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 PM
BF Veteran

wait... is this for your door or your rear hatch?

Old 02-17-2010, 05:59 PM
vanillathrilla is on a distinguished road

he's talking about the hatch. I noticed the same thing on mine tonight when I was playing with my new two door Blazer. I can't get the rear door open! lol.. I got the hatch glass up, but can't figure out how to get the door open.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:48 PM

vanillathrilla,
i am a she... in my blazer, the handle to open the drop gate is just left of center, there is a handle that lifts up and the gate opens like a tailgate on any other truck.

AB,
I guess I called it a door but it is a hatch.
My problem is that unless there is someone there to pull the window at the same time i push the lift release button (on dash) I cannot get the hatch window open. Once the window is open I am able to open the drop gate but I would like to figure out why the key is not working.

Last edited by reekid; 02-17-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:42 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by reekid
vanillathrilla,
i am a she... in my blazer, the handle to open the drop gate is just left of center, there is a handle that lifts up and the gate opens like a tailgate on any other truck.

AB,
I guess I called it a door but it is a hatch.
My problem is that unless there is someone there to pull the window at the same time i push the lift release button (on dash) I cannot get the hatch window open. Once the window is open I am able to open the drop gate but I would like to figure out why the key is not working.

you called it a door once, then went and called it a gate. now you've switched to a hatch.............it's a tail gate, plain & simple.

in regards to the key not "popping" the window, it sounds like the solinoid is gone in your TG (the one for the key function, not the front switch).

Old 02-18-2010, 12:03 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
it's a tail gate, plain & simple.
true... if it's the glass up, gate down.... you've got me there.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:39 AM
just plain lucky is on a distinguished road

I got similar problem with my jimmy button works fine but the key in back or the handle that surrounds key has broken loose I need to know how to replace the lock unit bigest part would be taking off the panel without messing it up.just plain lucky...