2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear Quarter Panel Glass(not the door quarter glass) Removal/Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Starting Member
scosentino88 is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Quarter Panel Glass(not the door quarter glass) Removal/Installation

I have a 98 blazer and I had it parked for a about a month in my back yard. Well we had the first good thunderstorm of the year last week and a good sized tree branch fell and took out the driver side quarter panel glass. Not the quarter glass on the door, the actual glass window panel above the rear wheel.

I've looked and typed everything I could think of on google to find instructions to remove and install this window panel above the rear wheel. I've only been able to find instructions for replacing the quarter glass on the door itself.

Anyways I was wondering what it takes to replace the quarter glass panel above the rear wheel. I used to own an Explorer a few years ago and had to change the same window and it was easy to change. To change the explorer quarter glass all you had to do was pop off the interior around the window and remove like 4 bolts and pop the glass out. And reverse the process to install the new window.

Is the blazer quarter glass setup similar to the setup for the explorer quarter glass? Or do I have to cut out the gasket around the quarter glass window panel like you would do with the windshield?

Attached Thumbnails Rear Quarter Panel Glass(not the door quarter glass) Removal/Installation-chevyblazers10part.jpg  

Last edited by scosentino88; 06-01-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:40 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Look-this is a job that is best handled by a pro glass shop-these are sealed assemblies as they also provide body integrety (glass bends) If you are just replacing a side glass(door) do it your self-but for one of the real integral glass installs: have it professionally done! Really!

Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 PM
glssmn2001 is on a distinguished road

The quarter glass is held in by urethane, unlike the explorer which is held in by a foam cored butyl to seal it and bolts to secure it. The urethane can be trimmed off using a long-knife (glass tool) which is actually just a long utility knife. When trimming it off it should be smooth with about a 1/16 of material left on the car. Then, any scratches should be covered with the proper pinchweld primer to prevent rust issues down the road. Next comes the most important part, the adhesion of the new glass. There are many different type of urethane on the market, some use etch primer on the glass, some do not. Which ever you buy you must know if it needs glass primer, if the application calls for it, it must be done or the urethane will not bond to the glass. If you buy primerless urethane than you just apply it to the vehicle. With either application you need to "v" notch the tip in order to give the proper height to properly seal the glass and the "deck the glass' or compress it down to the vehicle. Secure the glass with tape and let the urethane cure for designated time for the product of choice. Approximate time is usually 3 hours for safe drive away time.