2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear View mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:39 PM
cool2drblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear View mirror

Hi i am wondering how easy it is to install a replacment power rear view mirror. And how to do it and about how long it wold to take to do so. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Rear View mirror

The installation of the actual mirror would take less than 1 minute (10 minutes if you wanted to drink a beer and do it one handed). Simply loosen the screw at the windshield side and pull the mirror up.

The wiring will take more. I assume you want an auto-dimming rear view mirror. These typically have 3 wires to hook up. Power and Ground are really the only ones required. The third wire is normally for a reverse inhibit on the dimmer so that if you were backing out of your garage, you could see out of the rear view instead of having it dim.

I had installed an Intrepid auto-dimming rear-view mirror in my old Ram. I first had an electro-head friend of mine temporarily wire it up to see what kind of power it would draw as well as the correct wiring required (I didn't have a wiring schematic for the mirror from the intrepid). It drew less than 0.1amps so I just wired it into the headlight switch so it would be powered whenever my parking lights were on. I found this wire by probing with a test light on the headlamp switch plug. Just 'T'd it in and had it like that for 4 years of ownership on the truck before I sold it to buy my Bravada. Worked like a charm.

You will want to make sure that you grab an auto-dimmer that does not have On-Star on the mirror. If the mirror comes out of a 1997+ Blazer, see the schematic below. If you grab it from a junkyard, grab the connector and as long of a section of wire as you can. This will allow for the easiest installation. If you really wanted to, you could wire it in as factory by wiring it to the reverse switch to retain full functionality, but that's up to you.

Attached Thumbnails  Rear View mirror-dimming_mirror_sch.gif  
Old 11-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Beginning Member
01ice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Rear View mirror

Hi just found this,I also just got a dimming rearview mirror but has i believe 5 wires do you know where they go.got it from a 2000 I have a 2001.thanks