2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear washer/wiper issues....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Beginning Member
racechaplain is on a distinguished road
Default Rear washer/wiper issues....

Hey guys,
I have a 96' Blazer with the rear washer inop. I changed the washer pump at the tank and also recently changed the rear wiper motor.
Interestingly enough, when I first pushed the "Wash" the rear wiper went in continuous motion for about 6-10 swipes and then defaulted to intermittent. I never got any spray from the washer nozzle either. I'm wondering if the relay/controller that is attached to the wiper motor could be junk? Does that also control the washer function?
I also tore the trim up and the elbow is all intact so no leaks there. I didn't notice any leaks in the tailgate but will look when I diagnose tomorrow. It just seems like it could be that relay do to the way the wiper acted....
thoughts anyone?

Old 02-26-2013, 04:40 AM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

I just went thru all this same crap. Your leak is most likely in the hatch area under the carpet on the drivers side. I'll post pics of it later today when I'm not on my cell. But basically a 90 degree fitting came off and let washer fluid **** under the carpet.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Beginning Member

was it up by the rear seat area then? or more back by the jack and stowage area?

Old 02-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Beginning Member

The other thing though is that the wiper is not operating in continuous mode anymore when pushing the wash on the rear switch...That's what makes me think the relay board is shot...

Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Starting Member

Jack side, you will need a t-50 bit to remove the strap down loop on the side.

Name:  2013-02-23_14-10-56_942_zps67428ff3.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  748.0 KB

Old 02-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Beginning Member

Yes, I already checked under the rear trim piece. Still doesn't explain why the motor will not run in continuous mode while pushing "Wash" on dash switch. Even if the hose was disconnected, and pushing window wash all over the floor, the wiper would be working in continuous mode, right?
Mine doesn't do that/ It only operates on the intermittent ....
Relay ordered today....

Old 02-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Starting Member

I would change the black box on it from the old motor if you still got it laying around, if it isn't that the dash switch might be bad.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Beginning Member

changed the black box or the wiper motor pulse board for the rear today and still no change. Next step is I found a used switch online and will try that next week sometime. Switch has to be bad because the rear wiper does not operate in continuous mode when wash mode is engaged.
It did do it one time right after I installed the new board so I hope I didn't fry it because of the switch.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

There are 2 washer pumps in the reservoir, did you replace the correct one? I had to ask I think the rear pump is located above the front pump.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Starting Member

It is because mine would drain to the top pump. The bottom one is the front and frontal visibility is a weee bit more important then rear.

Quick Reply: Rear washer/wiper issues....