2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rear wheel bearing removal

Old 05-05-2010, 11:49 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

By the big bolts do you mean the caps that hold the diff in place? The pin that is being spoken of runs through the spider gears in the diff.if you rotatethe diff you should see a small pin that runs side ways to lock the cross pin in place. the pin will thread in from the right side of the case.Once you remove the pin push the axle into the tube on the side that has the bad bearing and remoce the c-clip. You will now slide the axle shaft out of the tube. You will now need to remove the seal and the bad bearing. You may need a small slap hammer to remove the bearing.If anybody has a better way to remove the bearing please post it (short of using a torch). once removed just follow the instructions in reverse with the new bearing and seal for reassembly. Also,don't forget to install a new diff cover gasket.Lastly there is a fill plug in the diff above the the mid way point on the case,usually a 3/8" ratchet square that you remove to fill the case.Make sure you use gear lube and fill till you see fluid just start to trickle out.I hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Slow down... You should only have to remove 1 bolt inside the diff and that is the bolt that holds the cross pin into the differential itself.

If you removed the bearing caps, you will have to get them reassembled and torqued back down properly ASAP!!

As far as how to refill your diff, check out the thread below:
Rear Axle Service

Old 05-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Beginning Member
wetbar is on a distinguished road

Hey there was a link that showed steps to do this. I cant remember where I saw it though. Anyone have a clue?

Old 05-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Beginning Member

ok I got the c clips and axle out. I was making this way harder than it was. Once I removed the gears off the axle, I think I see the bearings. How do I get them out? I poked them a little with a screw driver but I was scared I was going to scratch them or something.

Last edited by wetbar; 05-06-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Push in on the axle shaft (where the wheel bolts on). The c-clip is in the front face of the small gears on the sides inside the diff housing.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:53 AM
lombard is an unknown quantity at this point

Yikes. I've never disassembled a rear differential to that point before. If the gears are falling out you're probably getting in over your head. Typically, there's just a pin that you remove. Then you go out to your wheel flanges and push the axles in towards the differential. That'll make the c-clip that holds the axle in the diff visible. Pull off the c-clip and then you can pull your axles straight out.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Administrator

I have had the side gears fall out before. This is especially true if the diff is rotated with the pin out.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Beginning Member

yup that is what i did. im using a slide hammer and still cant get the seal and bearings out. I sprayed a little bp oil on the outside of the seal and worked it for an hour. i did not undo the parking brake, do i need to?

Old 05-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Parking brake can stay put.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Beginning Member

Just keep pulling on it? I pulled so much the bearing is broke and so fa I have puled out some type of ring and 5 other pieces.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear wheel bearing removal