2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rear wheel bearing removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough
Angry rear wheel bearing removal

So I'm trying to change out my left rear wheel bearing. Only that sucker wont budge! Got the seal out fine, and the bearing race might have moved a millimeter or two (might just be wish full thinking).

I've been beating on the thing with my Hazard Freight slide hammer for probably close to two hours. I've been heating the axle with a torch. Nothing.

Anybody got any tricks or hints, or anything? I've thought about cutting a slot in the race and trying to pry it out, but that bearing is probably pretty stout, so I'm doubtful I could even cut into it.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:13 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

on my 84 i had to stuff a rag in past the race to stop the shavings and use my air grinder to cut the race - it's like a big dremmel driven by air

Old 08-29-2014, 08:21 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by odat
on my 84 i had to stuff a rag in past the race to stop the shavings and use my air grinder to cut the race - it's like a big dremmel driven by air
That's what I'm afraid I'll have to do. How hard was it to cut through the race? That steel seems pretty hard.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:44 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

wasn't bad with the grinder - if you end up doing the same thing stop grinding just before you grind all the way through so you don't knick the housing

Old 08-30-2014, 11:18 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by odat
wasn't bad with the grinder - if you end up doing the same thing stop grinding just before you grind all the way through so you don't knick the housing
yeah ive had to use the little dye grinders before on these guys... if you happen to nick up the housing it shouldnt effect anything just dont gouge the crap out of it.

you need like a giant slide hammer and they do sell a end you put through the bearing and it opens up grab the whole bearing. ive broke many slide hammer ends on these bearings

Old 08-30-2014, 12:43 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by abig84
yeah ive had to use the little dye grinders before on these guys... if you happen to nick up the housing it shouldnt effect anything just dont gouge the crap out of it.

you need like a giant slide hammer and they do sell a end you put through the bearing and it opens up grab the whole bearing. ive broke many slide hammer ends on these bearings
How big is giant? Cause my lil old 2 lb sure ain't getting it done!

Old 08-30-2014, 10:16 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

if your going to grind , grind at the upper sides
less critical if you hit the tube

Old 08-30-2014, 10:38 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

I put a big socket on the inside and a wood shim to hold it in place, then used a 6' 3/4" pipe to knock it out from the other side. Put a drip pan down to catch the oil. Don't try the timken trp1563tav, it lists as a repair bearing, but it will not fit. If the axle is worn, replace the axle, service bearing makes it impossible to get the "c" clip back in.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:19 AM
BF Veteran

Rex, good advice about grinding it on top! Didn't think about that.

Edac, I've thought about that, but I really don't want to pull the other axle, and all the guts in the diff to get to the other side.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:34 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

at my other job we used to borrow the slide hammer from the body shop next door. that thing had to have had like a 8lb slide on it, heavy as heck. and broke a few of their ends doing them bearings

Quick Reply: rear wheel bearing removal