2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rebinding Door Hinges???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:55 AM
bluesjam99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rebinding Door Hinges???

My driver's side door lays kind of low and rubs as I am shutting it and somebody told me the Brassbushings have to be replaced.I was going to just do both doors.Is this what you have to do? If so how hard is it and what does it take to get the old ones out?

Thanks,
Doug

Old 02-13-2007, 01:35 AM
RedBlazer 96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Rebinding Door Hinges???

I had mine replaced this past fall. A good friend who owns a body shop gave me a hand doing it. Not a hard project if you have a second person to help you taking the door off and on again. Parts are cheap its the time in doing it thats a pain. Disconnecting door wiring and an die grinder to cut the pins was very helpful. His costs if he was to charge an off the street person was about 225.00 for the pair not including the parts to told me! Just cost me some beverages -ha ha!! Bottom line not a hard project just time involved!! Keep those bushings oiled!!!

Old 02-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I replaced the pins/bushings on my passenger door a month or so ago in my garage with my cousin stabilizing the door. It isn't difficult and I think it took us around an hour to an hour and a half to complete one door.

One thing that will be a pain is the spring. It's easy as pie to remove, but it is a real pain to get back in if you don't have the proper tool. I purchased the 'light truck door hinge spring' tool from Eastwood.com and it made the job a snap.

As far as the old pin and bushings, well, that all depends on how bad they actually are. If your bushings are completely gone and the holes the bushings press into are oblonged, you'll need to fill the worn part of the holes and redrill them to size. If the holes are fine, then it is as simple as getting the old bushings out (I broke my old ones) and pressing in the new ones. To press in the new bushings, I used a socket an old nut/bolt I had layin' around and some thick washers. The socket needs to be large enough that the bushing can easily pass into the internal hex portion of the socket when fully pressed in. The bolt has to be long enough to go through the washer, bushing, hinge bracket, socket, the final washer and still have enough room for the nut to get onto it. One word of caution with the bolt, always keep the fixed end of the bolt to the outside of the hinge. I had to cut my bolt on the last bushing because I ended up getting it trapped - LOL.

Good luck!

Old 02-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

$225!!!! Holy cow! I do these all day long for about $100.00 per door, parts and all!! Takes me with one helper about 20 minutes. Of course I cannot remember the countless ones I have done. I personally use a box wrench big enough for the bushing to fit through, then I use a vice grip to press in the new bushings, using ALLOT of lube during reasembly. And I also ONLY use GM parts. Korey

Old 02-14-2007, 12:13 AM
speeddemon560 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. I did not realize how much of a b**** it is to fix the door hinges. I know my passenger side door hinge needs to be rebuilt, I should do that soon. $225? That is a lot! I remember when I left some .177 caliber bbs in the passenger door and they feel down and got stuck in the door panel and rolled around a lot, it was quite annoying. My dad took it to the dealer to get it fixed, I think they charged him $175 to take the door apart to remove the bbs. Of course, my dad, knowing NOTHING about prices, gladly paid for it. Too bad I was too young to do it myself, or I would have. Then I bought some Street Scene mirrors and took them to the same dealer and asked how much it would be to install them. Once he told me $85 a door, I said thank you and walked away. I installed them later that week for nothing. Crazy.....

Old 02-14-2007, 01:13 AM
00blackblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...13&ptset=A

this is what we are talking about and damn those are some crazy numbers to charge to do such a simple job. ive replaced them on my 85 and my 2000 blazers and took me about 45 minutes for all 4 doors. do one hinge at a time and if you dont have help use a floor jack with a rubber pad to hold the door up. Buy the tool like Swart said it makes it alot easier. no need to completely remove the door.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:29 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

I use the rafters in my garage to suspend the door, if I don't havea second set of hands to help. With GM parts takes about 20 min per door w/ the right tools. Fixing the remote oil filter lines/seals/ect. is more of a pain then doing the door pins.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:35 PM
bluesjam99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody know where I can order the bushings and special tool? Thanks for all the input!

Doug

Old 02-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can get the spring tool at napa (don't know the number off hand) or through Eastwood.com search for 'light truck door hinge spring tool' and it should pop right up.

As for the bushings, better plan on new pins as well. The dealership will have parts that'll last quite a bit longer, but I don't know what the price is. Other than the dealership, any autoparts store will have all the parts in a single kit.