2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rebuilt head gasket cleared P1345 code, now what

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:32 PM
hottamama69 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I have a 2000 Blazer with a 4.3 and 2wd, and i recently checked the oil on my blazer and found it was milky, so i changed the intake and head gaskets, in doing so when i put the distributor back it was one or two teeth off and was giving a PO345, misfire code, so i did the timing by lining the marker on the crankshaft cover with the 2nd line on the pulley and then setting the distributor to pointing at the 6 thanks to a diagram a found on this website. So getting the timing right cleared the PO345 code and it hasn't came back, but now my truck is still hesitating to start and the motor runs in a revved up manor until it warms up a little bit then it seems to run fine, however every now and then it seems like it has slightly less hp or it will try and idle high to about 1500 rpm and i can get to about 35 mph without even touching the gas, i went through this with it a few years ago and had to change the MAF, TPS, and the Idle speed sensor but the check engine light was coming on and giving me codes for those sensors, in which the check engine light is not coming on now, so I put on a new starter, removed all these sensors and cleaned them up, and cleaned the carbuerator, and it still hasn't helped, what could be causing this and what can I possibly do?

sorry i meant P1345 code

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-06-2011 at 06:40 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:55 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Sorry... you still have to have someone with an interactive scanner set your timing 'home'.

Your PCM will be 'confused' until you do. It's only conjecture but I believe that once the PCM sees a discrepancy between the crank and cam position sensors, there's nothing you can do to fix it mechanically.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moved to 2nd Gen Tech* - Please read the descriptions of the different forum sections and choose the one that most appropriately aligns with the topic you intend to post. The New Member section is for introductions only.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:49 PM
hottamama69 is on a distinguished road

i took my blazer to a reccommended mechanic from several different groups of people and he charged 200 dollars and still couldnt tell me whats wrong with it, he said he couldnt get a reading off of my computer so he told me I need to replace the computer, he did however tell me i need to replace a bunch of stuff that had nothing to do with the motor, such as ball joints, etc., anyway i wasnt the one who talked to him so im going to go back and let him know how full of it he is, im not sure what you mean by interactive scanner I have a scanner you read and clear codes with is that what your talking about cause if so i dont need a bs mechanic to take all my money and feed me a bunch of crap

Old 11-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

What they are referring to is called "camshaft retard". Now that your P1345 is gone, it means the distributor is installed correctly, but not necessarily set to specs. You must use a scan tool that is capable of reading camshaft retard to check and adjust it. The el cheapo $300 or $400 scan tools won't do it, gotta be a bi-directional scan tool. Snap the throttle to 2000 rpm and let it idle, camshaft retard must be zero degrees, plus or minus 2 degrees. Turn the distributor to adjust it. If you can't get it to spec, remove the OEM distributor hold down bracket and install a SBC hold down bracket, that will make it fully adjustable. Another thing to keep in mind is if the crankshaft position sensor or timing cover was removed: It will require a "crankshaft position sensor relearn" before the camshaft retard is checked/adjusted.