2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Recent fuel leak discovery...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 03:56 PM
offthewall is on a distinguished road
Default Recent fuel leak discovery...

Okay, so my '01 2wd Jimmy just recently started leaking fuel, slowly and only when running.
Only problem is, I cant tell where its coming from because nothing actually drips. I've pin-pointed the area.. but thats about it. It's where the fuel filter sits on the inside of the left frame rail and there are three lines that have connecters (from metal to plastic/hard rubber) are located.

When I first looked under and smelled fuel, the bottom of the frame in that spot was moist and the underside of my body was wet. All the lines are wet, and thats what makes it hard to tell... I sat there and watched as it ran (after cleaning the lines), and no drips... I attached a pic. My guess is that top hose, where it clamps in is the culprit... but still unsure... Want to get it fixed asap, because messing with fuel isnt fun or safe obviously. Anybody have similar problems? or anyone know some helpful tips?

In this pic, the fuel filter is on the left and the lines on right run up towards motor...

Attached Thumbnails Recent fuel leak discovery...-1r2qug.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014, 05:19 PM
Beginning Member
justaguywithtools is on a distinguished road
Default fuel line repair

look inside of the fuel line. there should be an o-ring in the line just below the collar. if the o-ring is rotten or cracked fuel wil seep out. the line says non repairable(even though there are kits out there to repair them. if its just the o-ring it can be replaced. a dental pick will get it out easily.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 PM

Cool, didnt realize it had an o-ring. I'll check that out. When you say collar, you mean around where the line has that yellow marking? or before that?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:02 PM
Beginning Member

just past the retainer clip there is a collar that guides the fuel filter nipple in straight. just past that is the o-ring. barely visible

Old 02-26-2014, 09:37 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

make sure you get fuel rated o-rings

Old 03-05-2014, 03:53 PM

Thanks for that info guys! It was the o-ring after all. Put tape around the hose I suspected and let it ride for a day. After checking it, the tape was wet and fuel seeped out. Unplugged it and took the o-ring out and it was broken. Got a new one in and its all dry so far!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Beginning Member

awesome. and it says nonrepairable

Old 06-06-2014, 05:49 AM
Starting Member
FRANK_BLAIR1956 is on a distinguished road

I have 1998 blazer LT 4x4 have fuel leak on the fuels plastic nipple the one closest to drivers side the nipple is broke right at the front of the round collar on the nipple can I use a high pressure hose and clamps to repair this. or do anybody have a way to repair this with out haven to replace pump please help

Old 06-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Starting Member
jmparker82 is on a distinguished road

I had similar problems with my fuel lines. The Plastic parts dry and crack and start leaking. Mine were so bad that when we pulled the lines the plastic ends broke off. I ended up changing everything from the block back to the tank. The lines were gunked up as well. So check the lines real good when looking.