2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Removing 3rd Spark plug and Steering Shaft??

Old 06-07-2007, 01:52 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default Removing 3rd Spark plug and Steering Shaft??

I was wondering if there was an easier way to remove the #3 spark plug, I tired things listed on the forum and think that taking the steering shaft out of the way would be best, but cant findout how to do it or how easy it is to take apart and put together. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

If you have pictures of removing the steering shaft or there is another post on it please post it.

I took the plug out and replaced it with a new one but I dont think I was able to seat it proper so I need to take it out again and see whats up. When I took the old one out I stripped the threads on the plug but not the whole so I kinda dont want to repeat that with this new one since they are like $7 a piece. Thanks.

-Lenny

Old 06-07-2007, 08:50 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Removing 3rd Spark plug and Steering Shaft??

Me and my dad just replaced the third plug..we ended up taking the wheel off and using an extension arm on the ratchet...some finagiling....and it came out ok....you have to use just your hand once you break it loose..it's not too bad...it worked for us!

Old 06-08-2007, 02:14 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

If the original plug was "stripped" when you removed it then the previous install would have been what stripped the threads, you can not strip a thread by removing it, only when you install something with threads can they be "crossthreaded" and if tightened down tight enough then they would probably be harder to remove gauling the threads on the way out.

But #3 plug is not as hard as some make it to be. I used about 6" of 3/8 extensions along with a universal adapter on the spark plug socket, I also removed the plastic cover and rotated the shaft so that the flat part was turned so that the extension would get past, I went through the fender well opening. It is almost a straight shot to the plug at that location. I also used a 3/8 fuel hose to push onto the insulator of the plugs to start the plugs so that I did not cross thread them, I learned this trick from an older mechanic when I was a teenager...works well, have yet to cross thread a plug!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:50 PM
brock is an unknown quantity at this point

I ground down the diameter of a 3/8 X 4" extension so it would clear the steering shaft.
Worked good, $2 fix.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:55 PM

Thanks, I think I got it fixed, I might try pulling it just to see how its doing, i still hear a noise but i hear it on both sides and think it might just be noisy rocker arms or something. I think I'll the fix Brock. I am still getting good gas mileage and it runs fine as far as i can tell.

-Lenny

Old 06-28-2007, 12:11 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

What i actually found that works really dang slick is taking a spark plug socket that has a hexagonal end on the back where a socket would attach and then taking a ratcheting wrench and using it on that. Make sort of a low profile socket wrench. Otherwise, yeah ya gotta take the steering shaft out.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:52 PM

Anyone know how to and or has directions on how to remove the steering shaft, if you have pics that would really help. I haven't been able to find much about this online. Just seems like it might be easier to do that cause it was a major pain to get **** on the plug and to actually remove it. It took me like an hour to finally get the damn thing out and another 15 min to get the new one in, which might not be in all the way. Any help would be appreciated.

-Lenny

Old 07-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Beginning Member
clone432 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never had to make a tool or remove anything, once I figured out that if you jack the body up to releve the suspension pressure it gives you just enough room to use a wobbly to get on the plug. Way simpler than removing the shaft....unless she is stripped.