2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Removing plug wire retainer clips on 2001 and spark plug removal question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:48 PM
futuredoc is on a distinguished road
Default Removing plug wire retainer clips on 2001 and spark plug removal question

Ok what is you guys method of removing the spark plug wire retainer clips on the 2001 blazer? I'm trying not to break them. Was trying to use a screwdriver to depress the sides and pull forward and getting nowhere. Thought I would ask before I break the thing off.

Also, I read a little about the discussion of removing plugs: jacking up the fron verses working around the steering column. Has anyone done both, and do you have a recommendation for one or the other. I must confess that I'm not tech savy but I am cheap and don't want to pay a mechanic $400 for plugs, wires, rotor and cap!

thank you,

Kendall

Old 06-28-2010, 01:16 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

For me, those clips were the most difficult part of the tune-up. I used a small screwdriver to pop open the end of the clips, but the retainer at the rear of the engine requires 4 men and a horse to get open.
As for the plugs, just push through the splash flap in the wheelwell and you can reach them. For the #3 plug, it can usually be reached with an extension and a wobble joint, but you may have to play around to get at it. There really is not a need to remove or disconnect anything on the steering shaft.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:37 PM
futuredoc is on a distinguished road
Default thanks but

think I got the answer for the spark plug removal in the tech articles, but could you kind of walk me through the procedure for removing the clips and retainer please. Thanks man.

Also, any tips on loosening up the spark plug boot?

thanks again.

Kendall

Old 06-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be to work with one that you have room to look at, inspect, and figure out how best to position a small flat blade screw driver. Try it a few times eventually getting to the point where you can do it by feel alone. Then you'll be ready to disconnect the rear one. They can be a pain, but are far from impossible.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:50 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by futuredoc
...Also, any tips on loosening up the spark plug boot?...
If you use a quality spark plug wire removal tool, they should not be much trouble.