2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Repair Manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:00 AM
jeremysbarlow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Repair Manual

With all of the repair manuals out there... can anyone recomend a specific manual for repairs and maintanence on my 99 Blazer 4x4 (4.3 engine)? Thanks.

Jeremy

Old 10-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Repair Manual

If cost is of no concern, the factory service manual is the defacto best resource to have. I have always purchased FSM's for all of my vehicles due to the wealth of information listed between the covers. This coupled with an AllDataDIY.com account for your vehicle and you have all of the bases covered!

Now, if cost is a concern, then I would recommend the AllDataDIY.com account over any of the other aftermarket repair manuals. Only problem is you have to have a computer handy to get to the information. But one thing that puts the AllDataDIY.com account over the other manuals is that it also includes the technical service bulletins used by dealerships. TSBs are used for common problems that may be occuring in a narrow or wide range of vehicles and serve as a diagnostic starting point when first trouble shooting a problem. They will generally lead you in the proper direction more quickly.

Of the other manuals, well, in my opinion, they don't go into enough detail, but for $20, they do serve as a reference.

A FSM will cost you $90-$120 depending on # of volumes and/or source. eBay has yeilded me some great buys on the past FSMs that I have had. I just did a quick eBay search for a '99 FSM, but came up empty. There are some of the software based supposed FSMs on eBay, but I have never been impressed by them as much as I am with the true paper copy of the FSM. HelmInc.com is where you can go to purchase a brand new FSM for your vehicle.

An AllDataDIY.com account, well, check them out, I'm not sure. I get so many coupon codes that can only be used for current subscribers that I couldn't tell you off hand what their actual going new subscription rate is. But I will tell you that I just extended my current subscriptions for an additional 5 years at $10 each.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Beginning Member
hilsenteger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Repair Manual

Just to add - you might want to check with your local library -our library gives people access to AlldataDIY.com as well as a couple of other databases as long as you have a valid library card number.

Good luck!