2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Transmission wouldnt engage on hill

Old 04-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Beginning Member
blazintexas is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission wouldnt engage on hill

Gents,
Today I was at a stop light on an uphill slope, and when I went to go (in Drive), car wouldn't go. Pedal went to the floor, and it wouldn't go into gear. I immediately shifted to "2" and it went fine. Once I was leveled out again, I put it back into "D" and it worked fine.

I checked the transmission fluid level when I got it home and it read that the fluid level was fine. No check engine lights ever came on or any indicators or transmission/engine/other issues.

The Blazer is a '98 4dr 4x2 base model with 150k miles on it.

So I have a couple questions (which may be very dumb questions, but I don't have a manual).. bear with me

1. Is it "Safe" or "ok" to drive all the time in "3" or "2" instead of "D" until I can figure it out?

2. Is there a specific transmission fluid that I would need to use if I needed to add some at some point?

3. Does this sound like a low fluid situation or something else?

Thanks!

Last edited by blazintexas; 04-29-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

First did you check your fluid with the vehicle in PARK & RUNNING?
Second a 98 Blazer has a 4L60E transmission that uses Dexron III.
As far as driving it in 2nd or 3rd it is safe but not recommended. Watch your tach. & speeds.
How long has it been since the transmission has been serviced? If it has been a long time & lots of miles or looks or smells burnt, I would start there with a new filter, pan gasket & fluid. It will only take about 4 qts because you can only get the fluid from the trans not the converter.
Keep us posted as to what you figure out.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:56 AM
Beginning Member
blazintexas is on a distinguished road

I checked it in Park and while running (car was warmed up). Not sure on the service history. Actually just bought it a week ago because my other car is in an extended stay in the garage for transmission issues (go figure!)...

Fluid on dipstick looked pink and "clean" and did not smell burnt. I don't think mine has a tach, only speedo. Why is it not recommended to drive in "2" or "3" (sorry if that's a dumb question)?

Can I get the Dexron at Autozone?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

A 4L60E is actually made so that you can put it in 2nd at a stop & it will start off in 2nd for traction issues. I love using that feature at stop lights with a bump or slight hill, I don't have to hold my foot on the brakes & it stays put.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:05 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

You can run in those gears OK. But if you aren't paying attention you run out of gear (over revving) in second. But drive it. Can't walk or at least I can't. I wish someone with better knowledge of the electronics of this trans would check in. It could be a simple wire off a solenoid, or a solenoid it self. That is were I'm leaning. But again I don't have the knowledge of these new electronic transmissions.