2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Replacing door hinge pins, and tips suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Beginning Member
n0thing43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacing door hinge pins, and tips suggestions?

Im replacing the door pins in my 03 blazer this weekend. I bought the GM spring tool from Harbor Frieight, got the pins from Rock auto parts. Since this seems to be a common fix for Blazers, I wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions for me before I attempt this fix? Anything will be appreciated!
Thanks
Chuck

Old 02-14-2011, 08:45 PM
1hugeblazer is on a distinguished road

should be pretty easy as long as the holes aren't messed up on the hinge.. i did mine last year, hopefully you have someone helping you.. if not you should make a jig that fits into a floor jack so it holds your door for you. even with someone helping you use a 2x4 and a floor jack under the door and your friend to balance the door while you put the pins in. it is fairly easy i did mine without the spring tool and that was a bastard!!

Old 02-14-2011, 08:54 PM
01blaze2door is on a distinguished road

I put a top pin in mine awhile ago I would also suggest 2 people, me and my dad did mine. dont know about your truck but we had to weld up the hole a little and redrill it for my top pin cause the hole was worn into an oval shape... so good luck and get some extra hands.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:56 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

OMG have a pal
do the top than the bottom (doesnt matter really) BUT replace it as soon as you can, THEN move to the next replacement!
get a door spring tool from something like harbor freight BEFORE starting the project.
seriously, have a dedicated friend on hand to support.... WAY better than straps, a wheelbarrow, or jacking up a chunk of wood!

also, even if the holes are in good shape, I would suggest doing the JB weld hole fill anyway. can't hurt to make them tighter

Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by ABN31B
OMG have a pal
do the top than the bottom (doesnt matter really) BUT replace it as soon as you can, THEN move to the next replacement!
get a door spring tool from something like harbor freight BEFORE starting the project.
seriously, have a dedicated friend on hand to support.... WAY better than straps, a wheelbarrow, or jacking up a chunk of wood!

also, even if the holes are in good shape, I would suggest doing the JB weld hole fill anyway. can't hurt to make them tighter
WTF wheelbarrow ?? and there is a proper jig that is like a motor picker with straps.. they use them in body shops, i used a floor jack and 2x4 because i didn't have a handy "pal"

Old 02-14-2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by 1hugeblazer
WTF wheelbarrow ?? and there is a proper jig that is like a motor picker with straps.. they use them in body shops, i used a floor jack and 2x4 because i didn't have a handy "pal"
here is a couple

Old 02-14-2011, 10:18 PM
BF Veteran

not knocking the 2x4. i used a wheelbarrow and a blanket to get my replacement door out of the JY. used a jack and 2x4 with 2x4 kickstand to prep for painting.

simply giving the advice I wish i had had befor ei took a stab at this as per the OP request

Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 PM

not knocking the 2x4. i used a wheelbarrow and a blanket to get my replacement door out of the JY. used a jack and 2x4 with 2x4 kickstand to prep for painting.

simply giving the advice I wish i had had befor ei took a stab at this as per the OP request

lol ok i see i thought you were sayin im a knuckle dragging hick or something ha ha ha

Old 02-14-2011, 10:34 PM
BF Veteran

dude, with a truck like yours, i would assume anything but

Old 02-14-2011, 10:39 PM

dude, with a truck like yours, i would assume anything but

lol thanks bro

Quick Reply: Replacing door hinge pins, and tips suggestions?