2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Replacing front u-joint

Old 07-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Beginning Member
97blazer617 is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing front u-joint

so i need to replace the front u-joint on the blazer. its a 4wd 4d one. i searched but only found rear u-joint replacement. how do i replace the fronts?

and i also need help on replacing the pitman arm. i dont know what side i need to replace(sears said they needed replacement) how would i go about checking if it does indeed need replacement..and how would i replace it. thanks in advance.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Beginning Member

i see alot of people replacing there ball joints with moog ball joints....but those are alittle out of my price range since i have to replace all 4. what is another good brand for ball joints. are autozone, advanced or internantion autoparts any good? if so which store+brand. thanks

Old 08-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Beginning Member
BlindLemonLars is on a distinguished road

Search for "constant velocity joint" or "CV joint." You'll find them.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Mammys Car is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front "U-joint"

Look at the rubber accordion covers on the cv (constant velocity) joints. If the rubber is intact and well secured, try wiggling the joint to check for play. Only replace the cv joints if the boots are broken or if there's noticeable play or if they click and pop when rotated. One typically replaces the cv joints by replacing the entire 'half-shaft'.
To check the pitman arm, hold its end and the socket where it engages the center link while an assistant GENTLY moves the steering wheel back and forth to check for slop. Also try to move the center link away from and back to the pitman end. You should feel no relative movement between the pitman and the center link.
The pitman is a real bear to replace as in a 4X4 there's no room to get a puller on it. I had to cut one off with a cut off wheel. That was really tedious. The idler arm is much easier and can cause almost as much steering play as the pitman. Either one is likely >$50 even if you do all of the labor.
In short, confirm for yourself that you need the repairs.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Beginning Member

the ball joints i do need. i checked the u joint but moving the drive train (tube like figure that runs down the car and spins)had play but only in the front u joint. but the rear u joint was pretty stable. any recommendations on name brands besides moog?

Old 08-20-2009, 07:31 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
Search for "constant velocity joint" or "CV joint." You'll find them.
hes talking about the u-joint in the drive shaft going to the front diff. Not the axle shafts

Its basically the same as the rear. pull the shaft out, heat it up, use a socket over the cap on onside and hit it until the cap on the other side pops loose.

The pitman arm is a pain but can be done. You will need a pitman arm puller and a good size socket. Dont remember what size.

For ball joints I would go with moogs. Those are one thing you dont want to cheap out on unless you like replacing them. I put some cheaper ones in a few months ago and I already blew the boots out on them