2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Right Turn Signal

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Beginning Member
eknox327 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Right Turn Signal (Updated)

First off I have a 1998 Chevy Blazer 4 Door. I am having some problems with the RightTurn Signal. I was driving and noticed my turn signal was flashing very fast. I have come to know this probably means a blown fuse. So I stopped put in a new fuse RT TURN(yes it was blown) and tried the signal. It worked for about two uses then blew. Again I pulled over and this time check not only the RT TURN fuse which was again blown, but also checked the RR PARK (fuse) which was also blown. I replaced both and started the turn signal. Immediately I noticed interior panel backlight/radio lights were dim. I tried the turn signal and the Right Turn Signal started blinking fast again and the interior panel backlights went back to normal. The RR TURN fuse blew again though. Am I missing something else I should be changing. Is there another fuse connected to these that might be tripping these to blow. Any assitance would be appreciated.

Last edited by eknox327; 06-24-2009 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Solved my problem with help from forum.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked over all of the bulbs and inspected all of the sockets the bulbs fit into. Sounds like you have a socket shorting out.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Beginning Member

The parking lights work though. Could it still be a socket or bulb problem. Arent the same bulbs used for all features, parking, stop, turn signal?

Old 06-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly. The park lights, while being in the same socket, could still be unaffected at the present time by a corrosion issue in the brake/turn contacts.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:26 AM
Beginning Member

Ok so I replaced fuse again and it was good for a while. I hit a bump and sure enough fuses blew. I have stopped and got new bulbs and some electic cleaner. How can I go about cleaning the socket before I get the new bulb in. Do I need to disconnect battery before I use the cleaner?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Administrator

You should not have to disconnect the battery while you are doing this. I use some brass pipe cleaners to clean the contacts. Just loop it. Then, before you put the bulb back into the socket, put some dielectric grease down in the socket to protect the contacts.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Beginning Member

Ok followed your directions. Put new bulbs, cleaned contacts, dielectric grease and again the fuse blew. Parking lights work. Brake and Turn Signal still not working for that passenger rear light. I did notice when I opened the tail light out, there was a clean cut wire. I dont know if that has something to do with it however that wire must have been cut before because I had this vehicle into service since this problem started occuring. Another side note is I noticed the door jam switch for the dome light has broken its little pin off and the dome light was continously on. So I have to get a new switch. I simply hit the dome override button to make it go off on the dash. Would this be interfering with the tail light?

Also I just realized I forgot to say that about a year ago the hazard button had broken off. I can still use them by pushing my hand through the hole, however the actual button is gone. Could this be my problem. Do I need to replace the switch.

Last edited by eknox327; 06-24-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Beginning Member

Cross my fingers but I think I solved the problem. I call the local GM dealer and asked for the hazard switch. He told me it was apart of the turn signal switch. I said thats not what I need. Called back with GM part number and he found it and I picked it up. Then I swapped out the new switch (which was really easy). I once again replaced RT TURN FUSE as well as RRPARK fuse. Then I noticed that the TRL PRK fuse had a 20amp fuse when the diagram says it called for 10. I pulled that out and put in a 10amp and started her up. All was well. Drove all the way home. Lights all the way. Pulled in the drive way, lights and signals all worked. I am not sure if it was the combination of the broken hazard switch and the wrong size fuse being in the TRL PRK, but now I have lights.

Thanks for all your help forum. Searching these boards hopefully lead me to a lasting solution.

Thanks Swartllk

Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Administrator

A larger fuse will not cause a circuit to malfunction. If there is a problem on the circuit, it may result in permanent damage to the wiring if the fuse rating is too high though, but this would not be something corrected by simply swapping out to the proper rated fuse.

Glad you got it fixed! And most dealer parts counters claim to not know what you are talking about when you ask for just the hazard switch even though they actually do know exactly what you are asking for. Their job is to sell parts!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Beginning Member

Oh well I guess I spoke to fast. Passenger side brake light and rear turn signal fuse out again.

I guess I I just have to take it in for service.

Could it be the multiswitch if all the other lights work and just this one is out?

Quick Reply: Right Turn Signal