2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rubber mounts on bottom of engine and transmissions- oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:11 PM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rubber mounts on bottom of engine and transmissions- oil leak

What are those rubber mounts at the bottom of engine and transmission? Could my oil be leaking from one of them things? I have an oil leak coming off the bottom of my oil pan.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Beginning Member
MoneyPit99BlazerLT is on a distinguished road

They are rubber plugs and can be pulled and removed to look inside. If your rear main seal is leaking it can come out from around there and other places.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:26 AM
Starting Member

Isn't that the expensive seal to replace? It was bad enough to replace my intake manifold gasket. Would stop leal lucas be a help?

Old 01-19-2014, 06:56 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

The rear main seal itself is cheap...but expensive to have done especially if you have a 4wd; added labor with removing the transfer case as well as the transmission.

Never tried the lucas stuff.....concerned about what it would do to the engine.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Pull the plugs and take a look at things inside. If there is oil on the flex plate, then the rear main seal is leaking. If only the back of the block is wet, then you may just have a leaking pan gasket. I have experienced a leaking pan gasket before and it was caused by loose pan bolts.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 PM
Starting Member

From what I seen, it appears that oil is coming from those 2 bottom rubber plugs. I didn't have the time yet to take those 2 plugs off yet, but could that be the rear main engine seal?

Old 01-20-2014, 11:48 AM
Beginning Member

This photo should help. Can basically leak from 2 locations, rear main seal or oil pan. Also shows removable plugs before installation. I have 10k on my rebuilt engine and the new seal is already leaking good.

Attached Thumbnails rubber mounts on bottom of engine and transmissions- oil leak-img_0089.jpg  
Old 01-20-2014, 08:28 PM
Starting Member

great picture, help me understand more. This may sound stupid, but how do you remove those rubber plugs without destroying them. Tried pulling them off, but didn't want apply too much force in fear of destroying them. I did however notice that the top of oil pan look like it had leaked oil moderately, more so on passenger side.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:26 PM
Beginning Member

I haven't tried. I installed them before I connected engine to tranny. I can tell you they are made from some hard rubber. I would think it would be hard to break them and they are plenty lubed up with oil. They are just fancy inspection ports/dust covers so if you broke one I suppose you could purchase another one at your leisure.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Starting Member

I have used Mobil Super HM oil in my last oil change. It stopped for awhile then started again. Today as I was working on my vehicle, I has the inspection cover off and no oil on flex plate. It appears oil is coming from above the starter. The block is wet, but couldn't find no source. Try to look from above and couldn't see anything wet. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: rubber mounts on bottom of engine and transmissions- oil leak