2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Testing a Junk Yard engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Beginning Member
ctys20 is on a distinguished road
Default Testing a Junk Yard engine?

I'm probably going to need a new engine for my 95 blazer (2wd, cpi, obdII) in the near future. Anyhow, for anyone that has done this before, is there a way to test the engine before intalling? (My current engine runs rough,some stalling, and a slight indication of coolant in oil - it will probably last a few thousand miles as is).

All I can think of is pulling the pan to check for major damage and then putting the engine on a stand with starter installed and check compression (can you do this on a stand?)

Also, I've read that most junk yards offer "free" exchanges within 30 days but considering that this job takes about 30 hrs??? to complete I really dont want to take too much of a chance getting complete junk - i.e. a CORE engine, ect. ect.

Not to ramble on too long here but what kind of luck have people had with the more expensive junk yard parts - engines/transmissions?

Otherwise, I know GM sells crate engines - does anyone know if those are new or remanufactured?

TIA

Old 11-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Beginning Member

Also, I've considered rebuilding my current engine BUT I've heard of more stories of failures than success. I guess if it's done professionally that's one thing but the tolerances are so low on these that anything less than perfection seems to fail.

I'm good at replacing parts (a transmission here and there) but I dont think I would try a rebuilt. Besides, by the time I get to it (around summer if I'm lucky) my engine is sure to be shot.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road
Default Motors

If you find a vehicle at the junkyard that is damaged in the side or rear, it was most likely running when it was involved in the accident. That's no guarantee the motor was not a going south when it was running.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:42 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

yeah usually if the body is straight then either the engine or the tranny went out. the junk yards do have a 30 day return policy, so you can take the engine home put it on a stand, tare it apart (shouldnt take long) and inspect everything. look at cylinder walls, connecting rods, cam, the whole nine. if its bad take it back

im going through the same thing right now with my neighbors 98 jimmy, shopping at pick n pull for a motor.

remember the safari's and astro's have the 4.3. just a PITA to get out lol

Old 11-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Chevy33
If you find a vehicle at the junkyard that is damaged in the side or rear, it was most likely running when it was involved in the accident. That's no guarantee the motor was not a going south when it was running.

The Junk Yards I've found already have the engine removed. What bothers me a bit is some want my core back..........I just hope I'm not buying someone elses core........

I'm really thinking about a GM crate engine BUT $1800 for a truck that at best is worth $3k or so is kind of pushing it.....but I really like the idea of a brand new engine, with GM warranty servicable at ANY GM.

BUT I also like the idea of having an extra $1500 or so in my pocket

If this were a Toyota I wouldn't really need to think about it - a used engine would be fine, but EVERYTHING on these trucks seems to be a big deal, just changing the spark plugs is difficult - it's almost like GM didn't want people to work on these vehicles.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:07 AM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road
Default What is inside your motor?

I just feel better knowing what is inside. If you did not put it in there you just don't really know. I recently bought a used 2000 motor for $100.00 The block and the crank were garbage. With all the other parts it was still worth the money.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Beginning Member
Mike7075 is on a distinguished road

Before tearing it apart you can do a compression check with jumper cables hooked up to the starter. Remove the plugs, screw in the compression tester, and turn over a few times by touching the jumper cables to a battery.