2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Safe Rear Recovery

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 10:22 AM
Starting Member
LuckyAce is on a distinguished road
Default Safe Rear Recovery

Not sure where to put this.

Is there a rear recovery point that is safe do use on the Blazer? I've heard of people using a trailer hitch (not the bumper hitch), but I don't have one or the need/money to get one just yet. Is there any location that is strong enough for me to rap a tow cable into and pull on?

Old 08-01-2017, 12:08 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Wrap it right around the axle housing and it will be fine as long as you don't let someone leave a ton of slack and floor it to pull you out. Make sure it's wrapped around in a spot that won't damage your brake lines.

Hooking to a tow hook fixed directly to the frame or a d shackle hitch in a receiver is ideal though.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:35 AM
Raybz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chevyriders
Wrap it right around the axle housing and it will be fine as long as you don't let someone leave a ton of slack and floor it to pull you out. Make sure it's wrapped around in a spot that won't damage your brake lines.

Your kidding right? PLEASE!!!!!!!

Buy a tow hook (you can get them almost anywhere under $20.....Mount it (them) to the FRAME with grade 8 bolts

Old 08-02-2017, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Raybz

Buy a tow hook (you can get them almost anywhere under $20.....Mount it (them) to the FRAME with grade 8 bolts
Like I said frame mounted tow hook is ideal. The axle will work in a pinch for mild recovery. Ever hear of a j-hook? They are designed to hook to an axle.

I'd rather hook to my axle than leave my truck buried in the woods for some kids to come along and smash my windows out and torch.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:11 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Raybz

Do I need to drill into the frame or is there already a location to mount one?

Old 08-02-2017, 09:58 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Like I said frame mounted tow hook is ideal. The axle will work in a pinch for mild recovery. Ever hear of a j-hook? They are designed to hook to an axle.

I'd rather hook to my axle than leave my truck buried in the woods for some kids to come along and smash my windows out and torch.
dont ever wrap a tow hook around the axle!

Old 08-02-2017, 12:51 PM

I stand corrected.

I thought he needed a way to get out of a stuck situation with no other hook options, didn't realize he was looking for more of a permanent solution

Old 08-02-2017, 01:01 PM
Starting Member

I stand corrected.

I thought he needed a way to get out of a stuck situation with no other hook options, didn't realize he was looking for more of a permanent solution
No, your right, I was looking for something for in case of emergency and no traditional recovery point available.

However if adding a hook to the rear doesn't require welding or drilling (neither of which am I equipped or willing to do) I would much more prefer that.

Last edited by LuckyAce; 08-02-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:47 PM
Groundunit is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LuckyAce
No, your right, I was looking for something for in case of emergency and no traditional recovery point available.

However if adding a hook to the rear doesn't require welding or drilling (neither of which am I equipped or willing to do) I would much more prefer that.
I've used the receiver with a tow strap to pull people out of sand who dug themselves in. I've never really tried the running start thing to pull someone out, but's it's worked.
Side story: I got stuck in a ditch once without 4wd and my buddy in his CL pulled me out with his tow point under his car attached to my recovery hook in the front. He stepped on it, dropping the clutch and tugging so hard my Blazer didn't even put up a fight! I was very surprised.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:32 AM
Raybz is on a distinguished road

The frame has holes where a hitch could be mounted, you can mount hooks to them.

Side note: Get a recovery strap with LOOPS NOT hooks!

Quick Reply: Safe Rear Recovery