2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Scary Brake Issue Any Help Appreciated

Old 06-25-2018, 12:38 AM
CW42 is on a distinguished road
Default Scary Brake Issue Any Help Appreciated

First off I’ve been searching for this issue with no luck. This is also my first post on here. Also this is my first Blazer. 2002 Xtreme. I have decent brakes at all times except for right after I start the engine. Sometimes Right after I pull out of my driveway the break pedal will go straight to the floor. No brakes unless I hit the E brake. Once I start driving again the brakes will work fine. Spongy pedal but stops ok. This will also happen in reverse like backing out of a parking spot. But ONLY right after I start the truck. So far it hasn’t happened at any other time the brake light and abs light come on about every 3-4 days. Code C0265 for the ABS Relay. I’ve only had this thing for about 2 weeks. It’s happened about 4 times. I haven’t found any fluid leaks. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:47 PM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you have air in your lines. Have you tried bleeding them?

Old 06-25-2018, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tajohns34
Sounds like you have air in your lines. Have you tried bleeding them?

i havent tried to bleed them yet. Which process should I do first? The abs pump with the scan tool or the conventional way of doing it? Pedal is a little soft at all times but it only does this issue right after I take off in forward or reverse.
Thanks for your reply.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:07 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

How about when you first crank it, you pump the brake pedal several times until it feels firm. Don't drive off until the pedal is good and firm.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
How about when you first crank it, you pump the brake pedal several times until it feels firm. Don't drive off until the pedal is good and firm.
The pedal always feels the same right after I crank it up. I’ve got to where I will sit for awhile and pump the brakes thinking it might help. Sometimes it will still go to the floor when I try that first stop. Weirdest brake issue I’ve dealt with. Lol

Old 06-26-2018, 10:44 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I would do the calipers first then try the brake head on the booster... if you get air in there it'll be a real pain to get it out. Have you checked your and sensor wires? Maybe they are grounding out?

Old 06-27-2018, 12:55 AM

No I haven’t checked my ABS sensors yet. I read something about the low speed activation but didn’t think it sounded like what I’ve got going on. But I plan on checking those today and doing a conventional brake bleed. Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:13 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Brakes will need a thorough checking! Don't drive around with less than reliable brakes.

First off would be to check all mechanical and hydraulics parts.
- fluid level, reservoir for dirt, leaks
- discs for thickness and damage
- pads for thickness and wear
- check brake pedal resistance by pushing several times with engine switched off
- start engine and re-check pedal pressure. It should now have the added help of the vacuum
The next would involve using a lift or safe stands and remove the wheels or one wheel at a time.

Observe the necessary safety precautions and brief the person helping you.
- have someone assist in applying the brakes
- calipers (turning the wheel out you can sometimes observe the calipers work.
- brake cylinders (drum brakes if fitted at the rear end - try to turn wheel during brake application)
- hoses (check for small cracks, kinks, rubbing etc and have somebody step hard on the brakes possibly with running engine and good brake pedal) Broken (old) hoses can break the outer hose and make a balloon.
Switch it off and check for leaks along all the lines.
- joints
- brake lines

Bleed the brakes on all four corners.
- re-check

Additional things - somebody else?!
-

Old 06-27-2018, 01:23 AM

I’m gonna do all that later today. I’ve looked at the mechanical things and checked for leaks. Reservoir looks clean and topped off No leaks and all the pads and rotors have plenty of life left. I usually do all my own repair work but have never ran into something like this before. Lol I had a Kidney Dialysis treatment yesterday and ran out of energy to work on the Xtreme. Today I can get more accomplished. Thanks for your info and advice.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by CW42
I’m gonna do all that later today. I’ve looked at the mechanical things and checked for leaks. Reservoir looks clean and topped off No leaks and all the pads and rotors have plenty of life left. I usually do all my own repair work but have never ran into something like this before. Lol I had a Kidney Dialysis treatment yesterday and ran out of energy to work on the Xtreme. Today I can get more accomplished. Thanks for your info and advice.
i gave it a shot but taking it to my friends shop on Monday. Thanks for the info and advice. I’ll update when I get it back. Thanks again guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scary Brake Issue Any Help Appreciated