2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Security Light - But Blazer starts, and runs, light just on

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:34 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Default Security Light - But Blazer starts, and runs, light just on

So I get in my blazer to go to walmart, and as I am driving I notice the security light is stuck on. Last time this happened the blazer wouldnt start because of the passlock. Well I drove to walmart, maybe 5 minutes, and parked, came out maybe another 25 minutes. Started the blazer right up, but the light stayed on.....

I have no idea what this could be, but as of now, the blazer is still starting just like it used to... Any ideas?

I searched the forum and google, and haven't found where the blazer started with it on.... KYLE?!!?

Old 04-08-2010, 02:06 PM
BF Veteran

Friendly Day 2 bump

Old 04-08-2010, 02:10 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Just means the ignition switch is starting to fail...hasnt yet...but it will.

The light will start randomly coming on while youre driving...then youll start having the flashing security light and no start condition.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:03 PM
BF Veteran

GREAT!, just what I need to do, spend more money on non fun items, but the light was solid lit, and has come on once before...... but it went away after the determined time...

*UPDATE*

light is off.....

*fingers crossed*

Last edited by wlorton; 04-08-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 PM
kennybopaloo is on a distinguished road
Wink RE; Security light

i just bought a primo 02 4.3 blazer today and when i open the door the security light goes on. when i shut it she goes off.

what is this security light, why does it go on, and what should i know about it.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

I had a Bonneville that had the security light on, when I got it I only had a copy of the ky which wasn't passlock so I think the module may have been overridden or failed ... yours may of failed

Old 04-09-2010, 05:09 PM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road

My 1998 had a faulty passlock system, where every 300 starts would result in it locking up my fuel system for 15 minutes. I bought the 1998 at 110k, and sold it at 161k. In those 5 years, I dealt with the issue, but never did anything to correct it, because besides from those mornings where I was late to work because of the passlock, it didn't cause any real problem. ((TAKE ALL THE CRAP OFF OF YOUR KEYCHAIN!!!)) My mechanic told me that failure in the passlock systems is caused directly by extra weight on the keychain, which causes the key to go into the ignition crooked. Your car thinks its being stolen...and BAM! Another issue with the older, higher mileage Blazers is the rear hatch separating from the glass. This little bit of play in the catch of the hatch will alert the system to possible foul play, and not illuminate the DOOR AJAR. My 2002 blinks security whenever a door is ajar (vehicle off). Also, take your key inside, and scrub it clean...that may help! GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:59 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by mykeboy01
My 1998 had a faulty passlock system, where every 300 starts would result in it locking up my fuel system for 15 minutes. I bought the 1998 at 110k, and sold it at 161k. In those 5 years, I dealt with the issue, but never did anything to correct it, because besides from those mornings where I was late to work because of the passlock, it didn't cause any real problem. ((TAKE ALL THE CRAP OFF OF YOUR KEYCHAIN!!!)) My mechanic told me that failure in the passlock systems is caused directly by extra weight on the keychain, which causes the key to go into the ignition crooked. Your car thinks its being stolen...and BAM! Another issue with the older, higher mileage Blazers is the rear hatch separating from the glass. This little bit of play in the catch of the hatch will alert the system to possible foul play, and not illuminate the DOOR AJAR. My 2002 blinks security whenever a door is ajar (vehicle off). Also, take your key inside, and scrub it clean...that may help! GOOD LUCK!!!

Does the weight matter? I just picked up two new apartment keys, and added a bit of extra weight.... that explains it?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:02 PM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wlorton
Does the weight matter? I just picked up two new apartment keys, and added a bit of extra weight.... that explains it?
I had my starter remote, house key, work key(s), and a key to my safe. Not that much weight, but he advised me to separate my keys. Well, by that point, the damage was already done...so...?

Old 04-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

I only have my key and the remote to my alarm and I have passlock issues. Don't know how to solve this so I just wait the 10 minutes before I can start the truck. Just sucks but nothing I can do. As for the security light, mine just recently starting coming on while I'm driving. It happens once in awhile.

Quick Reply: Security Light - But Blazer starts, and runs, light just on