2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Security light flashing on and off '99 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Beginning Member
PrecioustoHim is on a distinguished road
Default Security light flashing on and off '99 Blazer

Hi everyone....from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan here.
This is my first Blazer. She is a 1999 Blazer LS with 4.3 L vortex V6 under her hood. She is fully loaded, Silver exterior, black interior, with dark grey cloth seats. Someone has taken very good care of her over the years. She only has 100K miles on her to date.
I drove to Milwaukee Wisconsin to get her. I am a disabled 53 yr old woman and I needed a reliable vehicle to get me through the deep snowy situations we have where I live. My last car slowly gave up the ghost on me over the last several months until it became glaringly apparent that I needed to move on towards another vehicle.
Now I am experiencing a few things wrong with my new girl. Things that the dealer should have disclosed to me but did not. And since it is an 8 hour drive back to where I purchased her I need to seek out other solutions, hopefully cheap ones, because after her purchase i am tapped out.
The security light on the dash continually flashes even after the doors are locked and closed. So far she starts and runs fine, and after starting the light goes out, but each time I open the drivers door (engine off, key removed) the security light comes on, flashing it's little head off and on, and no matter what I do (having read all the suggestions in other forums and in the manual) it flashes and flashes. I am afraid it is going to run my battery dead!
Now i think I need to get this figured out post haste before i get stranded somewhere. With the sub zero weather we are having and my physical disability it would be a miserable event if she did not start due to some passlock security malfunction.
I will be posting this situation to an appropriate thread also.
So glad to have found this forum. I hope someone can help.
Pleeeeaze HELP!
PrecioustoHim

Old 03-22-2014, 07:20 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

mine does this too, i think its a theft deterrent so if someones looking in your car they see the light flashing, kind of how the new aftermarket systems have the blue flashing lights. it will not drain your battery, its just showing your system is armed

Old 03-23-2014, 10:19 PM
Beginning Member
PrecioustoHim is on a distinguished road

According to the manual and other research I have done the security light on the dash is suppose to only come on whenever you open the doors and then when you lock the doors with the automatic lock and shut the doors it should go off again after 30 seconds, but mine stays on for about 10 minutes now (after doing several of what they call learning sequences) and my car alarm does not work.
The dealer I just bought this car from did not disclose the few issues I am finding out are wrong with it. They are hopefully simple ones, and I am trying to resolve them before the 30 day 50/50 warranty is up so I can send him the bill if I need to take it to a dealer for fixes.. What a jerk!
I just had to dump a 1/2 gallon of anti-freeeze into the jug too. No heat coming out of the vents, but it is -17F here today too. But the jug was empty. Grrrr.