2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

See if I have covered all my maintenance basis.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 03:07 PM
FirehawkNS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default See if I have covered all my maintenance basis.

Since my 01 Blazer is new to me and bought from a car lot, I have a lot of checking into to see what level the maintenance has been kept at. I have a list with a few questions.

2001 Blazer LT w/ 100K miles (just crossed)

1. Fuel Filter

2. Spark Plugs - I see most people do AC Delco Double Platnum plugs, any word on Autolite double platnum plugs, (I can get them easier and cheaper then retail, but like a decent long lasting, economic plug) also what is the stock gap supposed to be or what gab are you guys running for peak performance? I never trust the gap out of the box.

3.Transmission service - Any major difference in doing this on a 4wd over regular 2wd?What all parts other then Gasket/filter/fluid is needed and how much fluid. My 4wd knowledge is....well..what knowledge. Also what brand/model number cover are you guys using to give you a drain and how much do they run?

4. Differential Fluid - I assume I have something like this in the front with 4wd? Again, Duhhh on 4wd's. lol. How much fluid does it take. Is it similar or the same to the 10 bolt that camein my Z (I.E. a peice of crap)?

5. Coolent Flush w/Heater core replacement (yep it seems to be leaking)- Anybody have a write up on the heater core replacement that would help me for my year? I have found one for a 96 and a simply writen one for the 98, but I think I have read the years after 98 are different. Ihave ahaynes manual coming, but would prefer a write up with nice color pics. Just makes it easier (somebody needs to do a site similar to ls1howto.com or installuniversity.com ). I plan to replace the Thermastat and Cap, but plan to leave the pump alone as it shows no sign of failure. Spend that money else where for now.

6. Oil change w/ a good seafoaming - always sucked the seafoam in the brake booster, any place better? The intake is all gunked up. Had to spend some time cleaning the blades as it stuck bad.

7. Ball Joints - How do I know if this has been done? What are the signs it's worn? Everything rides normally.

8. Brake fluid - Brakes checked out, but I don't know when the fluid has been service (if ever), so I will probably replace it.

And something I am curious in, does anybody make a peice that will replace the tape/CD pocket in the front? Something that makes it a smooth pocket I guess?

Just trying to get a price listing up and get the parts so when I have time, I can jump on these things.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:40 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: See if I have covered all my maintenance basis.

If it were me, I would change all the fluids, replace the plugs, plug wires, and air filter, change the oil & filter. Anything from this bunch that I didn't feel comfortable doing, I would take to a shop. I would also get the suspension checked out by a pro, some will do the estimate for free. Stick with AC Delco Double Platinum plugs gapped at .060".