2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Service engine light questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 12:40 AM
sectshun8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Service engine light questions...

I've done a search and didn't find exactly what I needed, so here we go:

'96 Blazer LS... the Service Engine Soon light is on. Is this one of those things like my 03 Civic where it just reminds you for routine maintenance, and then you hafta do a little jig holding things for sooo long to get the light go off (cuz I'm not taking it to a shop to have them do it) or does the light mean there could actually be a problem?

Unfortunately I don't have the OEM manual so if there is a key/odomoeter button combo that needs to be pressed to get the light to go off I have no clue. Can someone help?

Old 01-08-2006, 01:05 AM
93LT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Service engine light questions...

The SES light does not come on for routine maintenance. It is to indicate an actual problem. Could be as little as a gas cap to loose, to actually being something serious.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:07 AM

Probably the cheapest way to find out what code it is that set the SES light on, would be to buy a cheap code reader and follow the instructions and report the code back to the forum. I say this is probably the cheapest way as I figure a garage or shop would charge you more to do this than what a cheap reader would cost at Wally World.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:17 AM

Hmm... well from what I know, the SES light has been on for AT LEAST a year, and it passed last years state inspection (VA) and it does include smog which I could see trippin the SES. I have an ODBII reader, I'll check out what it says.

And BTW, most places like AutoZone or AdvanceAuto, NAPA etc will do a ODBII read for free.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:23 AM

I have an ODBII reader, I'll check out what it says.
It's been on for a year, and you hadn't chekced it? The only trouble with those parts stores that will read your codes for free is that you may end up getting a hold of someone who just wants to sell you parts that aren't necessarily going to fix the problem.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: 93LT

I have an ODBII reader, I'll check out what it says.
It's been on for a year, and you hadn't chekced it? The only trouble with those parts stores that will read your codes for free is that you may end up getting a hold of someone who just wants to sell you parts that aren't necessarily going to fix the problem.
Haha, I've only recently come into posession of the vehicle.... I would have never let a problem go on for so long.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:21 PM

Well, get busy! You've got me curious as to what code your reader is going to present you with. Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:32 AM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

go to autozone and they will read you your codes and reset it and tell you what is wrong for free

Old 01-11-2006, 08:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: ivannj

go to autozone and they will read you your codes and reset it and tell you what is wrong for free
Or he could just use his own code reader...

Any update sectshun8?

Old 01-14-2006, 06:31 PM

Yeah, sorry for the absence. But yeah, I pulled two codes: P1860 & P1864. Both are Manufacturer Control Transmission codes. My guess is probably a solenoid problem.... might have to take it to a dealer or shop to get a better diagnosis.

Quick Reply: Service engine light questions...