2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Service Engine Soon Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 01:55 AM
alish199 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Service Engine Soon Light

Interesting -- in other posts I see there is discussion on both the EGR and the Check engine light. Recently my Service Engine Soon light comes on. My dealer told me that it could be a bad EGR -- but try and tightening my gas cap. Oddly enough, I opened my gas cap and tightened it and it went off after a few miles. THis has now been happening for a couple of weeks and now the light is on permanently.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this ? At this point, I am considering the EGR. What is the best way to troubleshoot the EGR for this problem ?

Old 09-28-2005, 01:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Service Engine Soon Light

If removing and retightening your gas cap has helped, then the first thing I would consider is replacing your gas cap. The dealership was just shooting in the dark on the problem. It was probably a generic evap system code and that generally means that either there is a vacuum leak in the evap system (gas tank vacuum lines) or a leaking seal on the gas cap. If you had a hard code for an EGR failure fault, then they would have told you for sure that the EGR was at fault for the CEL (check engine light).

Old 09-28-2005, 02:12 AM

Thanks Kyle, I will try that. When you say "WOuld have had a hard code" do you mean on the computer if I had hooked up the engine, or do you mean on the dashboard ?

Old 09-28-2005, 02:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

hard code would be a steady CEL like what you now have. You could bring it to your local autozone and have them pull your codes. they'll do it for free.

Old 09-28-2005, 02:32 AM

Thanks Kyle -- Appreciate it, I will give it a try

Old 09-29-2005, 03:17 AM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point

AutoZone rocks!

Ok, sorry. Take it to any AutoZone and they can read the codes and see what's goin on. Usually when the computer gives back an EVAP code, the first thing I do is check the gas cap. If it was EGR, it would store a code, most definitely.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:51 AM
Administrator

I always hate recommending people to Autozone. Advanced Auto will read codes as well as many other major automotive parts chains. My local Autozone SUCKS!!! They hire the most automotive illiterate people on the face of the planet. I normally have to take over the use of their computer because the parts counter people don't think that Oldsmobile made a Bravada! They simply miss the 'Oldsmobile Truck' option when selecting it. I don't know how many times the idiots behind the counter told me that 'Olds never made a Bravada' and then stated 'Are you sure it wasn't an alero or something like that?...' I just wanted to walk over to the tool aisle and grab two long screw drivers and plunge them deep into their eyes!

I really can't stand incompetence when it comes to purchasing autoparts!

Old 09-29-2005, 11:23 AM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kyle, sad to say, but a couple of our weaker link employees don't know what a Bravada is either. I've had to point it out to them, lol.

At my store we have a guy that worked at NAPA for 23 years, and has worked at AutoZone for 18. We have a guy that's been a mechanic longer than I've been alive (seriously, I'm 20, he's been doin this 25 years) and has worked at AZ for 14 years. Our store manager works the counter and is ASE certified. Then there's me and my buddy Adam. We don't know much but we're good for the newer cars because we're more familiar with them. Bring in a carb and we can't help you though, lol

Then there are a couple women, one has been there 16 years and one has been there 6, and if nothing else, they know their way around the computer system. They'd never ask what a Bravada was, that's for sure.

So yeah, not all AZ's are bad, I'm sorry you haven't been impressed with yours. If you're ever in the NC area, stop by and we'll show you what a good AutoZone looks like.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Administrator

I can't say that everyone that works at my local AZ is a complete moron. There is one lady, Nadie, that really knows her ****. The only problem is she really is the only one there that knows anything. Most of the time though, she is on the supplier (commercial) line and doesn't deal with instore customers, which is really the sad part.

I normally phone in my order and have it packaged up for me so that when I get there, I just have to walk up to the register, tell them that its already put together, and pay and I'm out the door. Anything else and it's not worth my time to save a buck or even $5. I'll just go across the street to Advanced Auto where all of the staff is knowledgable and there are more people working. Seriously it seems like Advanced is crawling with staff, normally 4-5 people working with counter customers whereas AZ only has 2 people EVER in sight.

I can't wait until I start my new job though. I'll have a local AC Delco retail store around the corner and won't have to screw with AZ or Advanced aftermarket stuff. I'll get it straight from the OEM source and be better for it. Plus, I can get prices from them that are comparible to the other chain stores for higher quality parts (mainly sensors).