2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear Brake Caliper Leaking Fluid?

Old 05-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Starting Member
phxjosh is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Brake Caliper Leaking Fluid?

I am looking at buying a 1998 Blazer LS today, and the guy said the only mechanical issue is that the rear brake caliper is leaking fluid. Apparently when he changed the pads he broke the bleeder on the caliper, so he bought a new caliper but has no idea how to put it on.

Do you guys think it's only the caliper, or will it need more parts than just a new caliper?

I did do a search and it seems like it's a common issue to have your rear brake seize up on the blazers, the guy is including a new caliper with the truck if I buy it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by phxjosh; 05-21-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:46 AM
liljoejoe54 is on a distinguished road

Its hard to tell where its leaking if we dont have pictures to look at or be there in person to see it. It could be the bleeder valve, piston, or brake line thats actually leaking. Putting on a caliper is very easy, just make sure to reuse the copper washer when bolting the line to the caliper and make sure the hole in that bolt is clean and allows fluid to flow through. I never changed a rubber brake line before but if thats leaking, i dont think its that hard of a job to replace and they also sell direct fit replacement hoses for that.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Starting Member
phxjosh is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by liljoejoe54
Its hard to tell where its leaking if we dont have pictures to look at or be there in person to see it. It could be the bleeder valve, piston, or brake line thats actually leaking. Putting on a caliper is very easy, just make sure to reuse the copper washer when bolting the line to the caliper and make sure the hole in that bolt is clean and allows fluid to flow through. I never changed a rubber brake line before but if thats leaking, i dont think its that hard of a job to replace and they also sell direct fit replacement hoses for that.
Either way it sounds like it should be an easy fix, right? I have some experience with brakes, I haven't replaced an entire caliper before but I found a few good videos online that show step-by-step how to do it.

I read a lot about the copper washers and how a lot of people forget to put them back on, I wonder if that's what happened and he is just getting a leak.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:14 PM
liljoejoe54 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by phxjosh
Either way it sounds like it should be an easy fix, right? I have some experience with brakes, I haven't replaced an entire caliper before but I found a few good videos online that show step-by-step how to do it.

I read a lot about the copper washers and how a lot of people forget to put them back on, I wonder if that's what happened and he is just getting a leak.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah should be an easy fix if its the caliper or rubber brake line connected to it.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:46 AM
Stonemadeink is on a distinguished road
Default Was it easy????

Originally Posted by phxjosh

Thanks for the reply.
I'm having the same issue now , change the caliper once , then changed it again after few days because the leak continues , my hose looks fine so idk what' happening , I replaced the caliper once again today and cleaned everything up hopefully the leak stopped