2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Shopping

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Rosebud is on a distinguished road
Default Shopping

Hi guys,

I hope this message is going into the right area. I started out with a bookmark for the regular website. Now it keeps going to the mobile version which i hate. Yes, i am on an iphone but i prefer the regular sites. Am frustrated as i can not get my phone to display the regular site.

Sorry for rambling there...

I am shopping for a 4wd Blazer. I did post a short intro in the new member area. Had a 91 and miss having a Blazer so am now on the hunt for another one.

First question I have is what is the difference between an S-10 Blazer and a Trailblazer.. I live in the mountains in New Mexico and need a true 4-wheel drive. Are both built on truck chassis? I don't want some wimpy "crossover" 4wd. Are some years better than others? I'm going to look at a 98 4wd 4dr Blazer with 140k miles tomorrow. Price is $3995.

It does seem like there are more Trailblazers out there for sale.

Any comments and advice really appreciated. This will be my only vehicle.

Thanks!!!
Rosebud

Last edited by Rosebud; 10-22-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road
Default How Much?

I'm not sure where you are but that is a little high on the price.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:39 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosebud
...First question I have is what is the difference between an S-10 Blazer and a Trailblazer.. I live in the mountains in New Mexico and need a true 4-wheel drive. Are both built on truck chassis? I don't want some wimpy "crossover" 4wd. Are some years better than others? I'm going to look at a 98 4wd 4dr Blazer with 140k miles tomorrow. Price is $3995...
Up through 2001 Trailblazer was just a Blazer trim model. From 2002 forward Trailblazers were a completely different chassis, body, and engine. Any and all of them were true truck based body-on-frame vehicles. I recommend '96s onward, the newer the better.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy33
I'm not sure where you are but that is a little high on the price.
I'm outside Abuquerque, NM in the Manzano mountains.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Up through 2001 Trailblazer was just a Blazer trim model. From 2002 forward Trailblazers were a completely different chassis, body, and engine. Any and all of them were true truck based body-on-frame vehicles. I recommend '96s onward, the newer the better.
So do all of you prefer the S-10 Blazer or the Trailblazers?

If you had a choice between a 2003 Blazer and Trailblazer with same mileage which would you prefer?

Wondering about the difference in motors? The motor in that 91 S-10 never gave me any problems. I was faithful with the oil and filter changes. I never even had to have a valve job. My good friend bought a used Escape with under 100k miles and already had to get a $500 valve job on it.

Last edited by Rosebud; 10-23-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:24 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

If you had a choice between a 2003 Blazer and Trailblazer with same mileage which would you prefer?

Wondering about the difference in motors? The motor in that 91 S-10 never gave me any problems. I was faithful with the oil and filter changes. I never even had to have a valve job. My good friend bought a used Escape with under 100k miles and already had to get a $500 valve job on it.
I've never driven or owned a TrailBlazer/Envoy so I don't have a preference. I will say that I absolutely love all of my S/T-series trucks. The 4.3L V6 is a solid, reliable small-block Chevy. These trucks are durable and flexible and will do all kinds of things. I can't recommend Blazers, Jimmys, and Bravadas enough!

If you want to find out more about the TrailBlazer you might check in on TrailVoy.com. That's the hangout for TrailBlazer and Envoy owners.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Toby Hanson
I've never driven or owned a TrailBlazer/Envoy so I don't have a preference. I will say that I absolutely love all of my S/T-series trucks. The 4.3L V6 is a solid, reliable small-block Chevy. These trucks are durable and flexible and will do all kinds of things. I can't recommend Blazers, Jimmys, and Bravadas enough!

If you want to find out more about the TrailBlazer you might check in on TrailVoy.com. That's the hangout for TrailBlazer and Envoy owners.
Thanks for that. I had forgotten to say earlier that I did have a new 2002 Blazer a couple of years. I got laid off my job and couldn't afford the $359 payment and had to sell it so I went back to driving the old 91 for 7 more years.

I looked at/test drove the 98 with 140k mi yesterday. I didn't get warm fuzzies. The engine ran fine, the trans seemed to shift ok, but there was a slight vibration at all speeds and a hum. It definitely needs shocks and tires. And overpriced at 3995.

I'm going to look at a 2000 Blazer w/trailblazer trim with 115k mi for $3650 today or tomorrow. I checked on Edmunds and this price is exactly between their pricing for one in "clean" and "outstanding" condition.

Now I'm just waiting for approval from my bank...fingers crossed.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:27 AM

Re the prices - the first one was at a small used car dealer. Don't know for sure on the 2000. I think it's at a repair shop because I couldn't see it yesterday because they said they lent it to a customer whose car they were working on. I'll ask how they acquired it when I go there. They're going to call me when it's back. They may be willing to negotiate down some.

Oops, I was wrong. The 2000 is 3850. Hoping I can get them down to 3500 if I decide I want it.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:53 AM

Well, the guy never called me back to come see that 2000. And it is no longer on Craigslist. I have a feeling someone showed up with cash in hand and he sold it out from under me.

Winter weather will be here any day at my house. A friend of mine just bought a new Explorer. She's offered me her old 97 for shipping cost (CA to NM). I'm going to accept that and start looking for a Blazer again in the Spring.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 AM
00blazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I have a 00 blazer w/170k and have very little problems with it. just had to change the gas tank the other day from rust. i would say go with the blazer over a trailblazer but its your choice in the the end.