2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Slow acceleration and high wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 04:37 PM
beeneeb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Slow acceleration and high wind noise

Hey everyone. I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer and it is suffering from some very slow acceleration. When I accelerate, there's a lot of noise like it's sucking a bunch of air. I recently replaced the air filter with a K&N and I still had the problem. I have since gotten a tune-up, flushed the coolant, and changed the fan clutch. Unfortunately, I still have the problem.[/align][/align]I am also getting some really bad gas mileage...it's probably 25% less than usual. Any idea what my problem could be?[/align]

Old 02-12-2007, 06:44 PM
USMaverick101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Slow acceleration and high wind noise

If your hearing a loud winding noise, My guess is that it's your IAC valve (idle air control valve). Its pretty easy to change out, some people take it out and clean it with carb cleaner instead, but if you can afford it, i'd change it. If you have the vortec cpi, it should be right on the air intlet at the throttle body. It could affect your gas mileage too. I would suggest taking that out, cleaning it out with some carb cleaner and an old tooth brush, but be gentle...dont break any metal or rubber pieces in there. And be careful for gasket too, when you take it out. Dont drop, break, or lose it. If you end up changing it, get a new gasket as well, and scrape the old one off, if its stuck on the housing. If you have a haynes or chilton manual, you can find the exact location of it. Here's a pic I found on another post

But anyways, my blazer is getting horrible gas mileage right now too. I changed the thermostat which helped, cuz it was running cold. But i'm still only getting like 9-10mpg. I'm going to try to clean out my EGR valve which might be built up with alot of carbon right now. When i have the time, and also its freezin here in NJ. That might also be a bad gas mileage cause if you feel like cleaning that out too...Same way as you would the IAC, i believe.