2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Smoke coming out of vents

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Beginning Member
RomanCatholic is on a distinguished road
Default Smoke coming out of vents

The A/C is finally fixed, but now smoke is coming out of the vents. It fogs up the windows and comes out at random times. Could it be the heater core and if so, how do I know for sure?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:02 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Does the smoke have a smell to it, kind of like coolant? My guess is your heater core is well on it's way out.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:16 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

My guess is heater core. Mine went out last winter. I had a shop replace it. The entire dash has to come out to replace it.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:24 AM
Starting Member
degaine_designs is on a distinguished road

I was going to say "Sounds like heater core." If it smells like coolant, kind of a sweet smell, then its probably the heater core.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Beginning Member

I am illiterate when it comes to auto's. Since finding this site I've been able to do many things myself, but I need instruction. If the heater core goes, will the truck still run? How difficult is it to replace and how much will it cost?

Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you can stand being without the heater, yes. Just loop the hoses together where they enter the heater core at the firewall under the hood.

The heater core is pretty involved as far as replacement goes. It is not particularly difficult, but can try your patience and is lengthy.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:15 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Well, seeing as the heater core is part of the coolant system, It would still run but you'd have coolant leaking leaking into the cabin of the truck, and depending on how bad of a leak it is, you'll have to top it off regularly, so it's really something that you want to fix. Like it was said above, you'll have to pull the entire dash off the truck to get to the heater core. It's a big job and more than likely a 300 dollar one.

Sometimes, when it's humid out and I put the defrost on I'll get a white mist form on the windshield, is that what you're asking about? I've taken this to be normal, I've had the truck a year and a half of it's 4 year life now. I can tell you the heater core isn't going on my truck.

*edit* Didn't see Kyle's post, sort of repeated one of his points.

Last edited by oktain; 09-01-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Beginning Member

Well I must be leaking coolant because the engine temp is going way up. Is it possible the heater core isn't bad and there is simply a leak somewhere else?

Old 09-01-2009, 04:01 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

It is possible that you have a leak elsewhere in conjunction with the heater core. The smoke coming out of you vents is a dead give away for the heater core, though.

From Oktain:
"Sometimes, when it's humid out and I put the defrost on I'll get a white mist form on the windshield, is that what you're asking about? I've taken this to be normal, I've had the truck a year and a half of it's 4 year life now."

This is because when you run your defrost, the A/C kicks in. If you don't have the temp selector in the warm/hot area it is just like putting A/C on your windshield. When it is humid out the moisture in the air will condense where the cool air is hitting the windshield. This happens on the outside, not the inside. Happens all the time here in the south.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Beginning Member

Well the radiator and the resevoir are both bone dry. Could I have lost that much in a week through the vents? It didn't look like anything leaked out on the garage floor.

Quick Reply: Smoke coming out of vents