2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Some modification ideas and general replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some modification ideas and general replacement questions

So I've come up with some mods I want to do and I have some things I have to do for upkeep on the car, and I want to bounce my ideas off you guys. I wasn't sure whether this would go under mods or general tech, as the first question is about general replacement and the rest is mods.

First off, winter has hit Michigan and much harder than last year (although relocated from the west side back to the east side means less snow and lake effect storms). I have already replaced my door hinges in the driver door, although I'm not even sure it needed it. However, my two rear doors always freeze shut and have to be forced open from the inside sometimes. Water makes it's way by where the door curves to match the wheel well and freezes there. I was thinking maybe new hinge pins would fix this. What do you think? I know how to do the fronts, but the rears look slightly different.

As far as mods go, I keep an eye on detroit craigslist looking for blazer stuff. My budget is low so I shop used. I'm thinking about doing the following mods: (I 'stared' the ones I REALLY want to do with a *)
  • adding the swing out tire carrier to the rear
  • HIDs *
  • ZR2 front Skid plate (will it fit?) my stock one is cracked all over and about to break, currently off the car :/ *****
  • Spyder taillights * (would love to do it if I could get them for a good price. I can't justify it for how much they cost though).
  • adding either off-road lights or amber lights to the roof
  • doing a 2" rear shackle lift (no T-bar crank) *
  • replacing the rear shocks with new shocks which are 2" longer than stock, after the 2" shackle lift *
  • adding a brush guard if I can find one used for cheap
  • Wiring for a small subwoofer
  • adding side-steps if i can find them really cheap
  • fender flares, off a zr2 if they'll fit *
I am also getting some bad Michigan rust on many parts and have been thinking of taking them off and painting them. i have a spray gun and air compressor and I also got a cheap powder coating system for Christmas. I know I want to repaint the hitch, I can't decide if i want it black or if I want to make it match the car (blue or light grey). What's your opinion? Also, the bracket which mounts the leaf springs to the frame at the rear of the car is pretty rusted, I'm wondering if i should be worried about its structural integrity. I can take a picture if need be, although I don't like crawling under the car with snow and ice on the ground. I may try to find a suitable replacement for these and just replace it at the same time as I do the shackles. P.s., where can I find quality cheap shackles? I saw a fellow BF member, "the DJ" fabricated some himself and they look terrific. His write-up is here. . . https://blazerforum.com/forum/liftin...hackles-73095/
I don't have a drill press or a welder though

Anyway, let me know what you think. Time for me to go shopping on craigslist.

Last edited by iamchevyman5; 01-05-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point

89 views and no comments? Frowny face
Oh, update!!!
Scored big on craigslist. I traded NCAA '12 and a controller for xbox 360 and got a tire carrier and all carbon fiber skid plates from a zr2. The skid plate I needed, the front one, is a direct match!
WIN!

Old 01-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Beginning Member
YJ Wralph is on a distinguished road

I have seen a good write-up on the forum about how to do the tire carrier. And as for a shackle lift, bear in mind you only get half of the shackle length in lift. ie, your six inch shackles will only lift the rear 3 inches. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

Spare Tire Write-Up

https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-thread-48921/

ZR2 Fender Flare Write-Up

https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-4-door-57919/

Good luck and let me know if you find anything good on craigslist that you don't need. I'm not too far from you.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

The carrier has been done but without the factory bracing inside I wouldn't do it. I'm building my next offroad bumper to have a carrier.

HIDs if not just pluged in work fine. Most people don't want to take the time to cut up headlights to retrofit them right. Remember you aint the only one on the road. You might see better but the guy you blinding drives in the ditch you are part of the problem.

Zr2 skids might fit but the frame is different. Some parts GM moved to mounts and designed one part to fit all to keep prices down. Other parts are one model only bolt on.

What are spider lights?

Offroad lights or lights on the roof are illegal for road use. Some areas require covers on the road. In new jersey its illegal to have any lights on the roof. Jeep got into a big stink about it a few back (with the freedom model I think) that had lights up there as a base option.I have em on mine and offroad I love em.

Don't know why ya want to lift the rear and not the front unless you springs are worn. If that's the case I'd fix the springs first.

See above. If the springs are worn and sagging 2 inches you don't need longer shocks when raising it.

Brush guard pretty straight forward.

Sub straight forward

Nerf bars straight forward

Zr2 flares require a good bit of work to fit a non zr2 truck and near as costly as bushwacker flares. If ya can find a cheap pair in good shape I'd sell them and get some bushwackers. I've seen zr2 flares complete in good shape go on fleabay for $1-200 more than bushwackers.

Last edited by neo71665; 01-27-2013 at 08:10 PM.