2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

As soon as I get to half a tank of gas my vechile will stall when I am stopping/stopped.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Derek_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default As soon as I get to half a tank of gas my vechile will stall when I am stopping/stopped.

Ok so here is my problem. I have a 1998 blazer. As soon as I get to half a tank of gas my vechile will stall when I am stopping/stopped. I haven't checked anything yet. I did have my check engine light on and had it tested and I was told that it was probably bad gas. it runs fine when I am driving. I am also getting worse gas mileage.

I know nothing about the fuel system or anything dealing with it but I am very mechanically inclined. So any extra help I could get would help. Pictures, location discription, part descriptionwould be appercaited.

Thanks, Derek

Old 04-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: As soon as I get to half a tank of gas my vechile will stall when I am stopping/stopped.

First thing is to let us know what the specific code was (Pxxxx).

Have you tried different gas stations? Have you tried running a can of ISO heat (or two at once) through a tank or more of fuel? If you have water in your gas, the ISO heat will take care of that.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Derek_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: As soon as I get to half a tank of gas my vechile will stall when I am stopping/stopped.

Yeah I had had the computer diagnostics a long time ago and I have used several different gas stations. I have had this going on for along time so I beleive that it is something wrong with the fuel system. I will see if I can get it in to a shop to get their computer hooked up again but my service engine soon light only comes on once in a while.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Beginning Member
dart08 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Derek_03

Yeah I had had the computer diagnostics a long time ago and I have used several different gas stations. I have had this going on for along time so I beleive that it is something wrong with the fuel system. I will see if I can get it in to a shop to get their computer hooked up again but my service engine soon light only comes on once in a while.
I'm having the exact same problem as you did with my 1999 Blazer. I tried putting in 2 cans of iso but no change with the dry gas. As soon as I get down to about a quarter tank of gas the engine stalls when I come to a stop.Sometimes if I stop real slowly it won't stall out. If I have a halftank or more of fuel it doesn't stall out. This is nuts! Help!

Old 08-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Beginning Member
dart08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bump, still looking to solve the problem. Any remedies? And, thanks in advance for your input!

Old 08-23-2008, 06:52 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you actually calculated how much fuel you are using by the point you reach half a tank. There is always that chance that the fuel gauge is now inaccurate so you are really on E when at half.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

On my old 90 Blazer, with the digital dash, FOUR led lines was empty. FOUR! GM gas gauges are junk.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:46 PM
scott96 is an unknown quantity at this point

when my blazer is @ 1/2 tank and i park it at a incline with the front facing down it will stall also. i think that where the pump is in the tank that it is not getting any gas. i have to get it on the level to start. that sucks big time, i'm thinking about selling it and buying a different brand of 4x4 because i need 1 to get the wife to work in the winter time because here in Newfoundland we have rough winters.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Blazer4U is an unknown quantity at this point

I will see if I can get it in to a shop to get their computer hooked up again but my service engine soon light only comes on once in a while.
Even though the light goes off it should still store the code as long as you don't disconnect the battery.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:45 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

are you sure your gas guage is even reading correctly?? has anyone ever done a fuel pump on it? It may have been installed wrong..when this problem happens do you shake the truck to hear if theres gas in the tank or are you just going by the guage reading 1/2 full or 1/2 empty for that matter..