2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Sorry but another 4 wheel drive question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Christine1199 is on a distinguished road
Default Sorry but another 4 wheel drive question

Lets start with I do my own work, And I use this site allot and it helps a bunch. Thank you so much for all the help you people have given me with out knowing.

Here we go I looked and looked but cant find my problem here at all
I have over time replaced, adjusted, checked, and fixed about every part on my Blazer. This problem has me stumped.

when I push my 4x4 button it gos in to 4wd. the gear box shifts, the axle engage, the lights even go to 4wd what ever I put them in no blinking nothing.
It says I am in 4WD.
But the front drive shaft dose not Kick in.
Bye that I am saying if i put the blazer up on a lift in 4wd and rev up. I can hold the front drive shaft in my hand and it will not turn in 4w Hi or 4w lo.
I have checked all fluids and topped off I even drained the transfer case and refilled it with the blue fluid from the dealer. is there something I am missing

2000 Blazer ZR2 LS 4.3 all factory

Old 02-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

3 or 4 button switch on the dash?

Any abnormal noises from the transfer case while driving in 4WD?

Raise the right front wheel off the ground, (all others on the ground). Engine at idle. Select 4WD. Transmission in park, (neutral if manual trans).
Can you rotate the right front wheel by hand?

Old 02-28-2014, 08:48 PM

3 or 4 button switch on the dash? = 4

Any abnormal noises from the transfer case while driving in 4WD? Nope smooth

Raise the right front wheel off the ground, (all others on the ground). Engine at idle. Select 4WD. Transmission in park, (neutral if manual trans).
Can you rotate the right front wheel by hand? = No

Like I said I have checked everything new cable, 2 years ago because of acid damage, new vacuum hoses 2 years ago, the vacuum actuator is actuating the t-case is shifting in and out I can here it and feel it just no power the the front drive shaft. I even went as far as to check for any vacuum leaks none I don't have a vacuum loss in the system at all

I went back over the whole thing again today and everything is working just no power from the t-Case to the drive shaft. I have a whole drive train for it in the shed, I just don't want to pull it if I don't need to I miss my Jeep

Old 02-28-2014, 09:27 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Your RF front axle is locking in, no doubt about it Which means the differential will put power to the ground if/when power is applied. If you were able to spin the RF wheel, the axle actuator is not engaging the RF axle, and applying power to the differential would do nothing, (no 4WD).

With all 4 wheels off the ground, engine at idle, trans in neutral, select AUTO 4WD: the front driveshaft should turn by hand. There will be substantial resistance due to the clutch pack in the transfer case, and drag in the front differential, but it should turn, and so should one of the front wheels.

With all 4 wheels on the ground, engine at idle, trans in park, select 4HI or 4LO: the front driveshaft should not turn by hand, no matter how hard you try.

EDIT: This transfer case requires this fluid:

Name:  Auto-trakIIfluid_zps76e53e4b.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  16.9 KB

If you can't get power to the front driveshaft, there may be a problem with the oil pump or the clutch pack etc. Page 156 of this link shows a parts diagram: http://www.canadawideparts.com/downl...ecatalogue.pdf

Last edited by Captain Hook; 02-28-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:11 PM

Thank you Captain
I just got finished dropping the t-case and installing the "newer" T-case.
She is climbing the walls again
Now my friend stopped bye her 4 button 01 blazer is/ was blinking so I had a cable and actuator for Her and put it in. I did that r/f wheel up and its working but its weird it dose not lock in it gets tighter but with some effort I can still spin the wheel like its slipping Nothing is easy today lol.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:00 PM

If it's partially locked in, you'd feel the teeth grind when it slips. Might be brake drag you're feeling???? Doesn't sound like the axle is locking in. When it does, you're not going to turn it by hand, I don't care how strong you are

Old 03-06-2014, 03:24 PM

Took it apart "and check this out" The Bell that the fork moves to engage and disengage the axle slid off the fork. I replaced the fork and bell Nothing is simple I never had this kind of problems with my jeep It just Rolled down a mountain 23 rolls and I drove it home all twisted up thanks for the help again Captain

Old 03-06-2014, 04:18 PM

The clutch fork disengaged?

Old 03-09-2014, 08:17 AM

Yes from the (I call it ) The bell