Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Spare Trire (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/spare-trire-98559/)

go chevy 01-08-2019 06:35 PM

Spare Trire

The stupid cable holding up my spare tire under the Blazer is like completely rusted! I also hate the fact you gotta crawl under here just too get too the stupid thing if you need it... What are you guys out there in the Forum doing? Keep the spare in the cargo area in the "trunk", on top where the luggage rack is... Just remove it completely because you are immune too flat tires lol..... I check the air pressure every now and then on the spare just because of where it is located.

chevyriders 01-08-2019 06:37 PM

I always kept mine up top. A lot of people like to swap a tire carrier from 2 door blazers to theirs. I like the idea, the only reason I haven't done the same is reduced visibility out the back window.

go chevy 01-08-2019 06:41 PM

I meant tire, not trire..... Can't spell over the frustration lol...

go chevy 01-08-2019 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by chevyriders (Post 700972)
I always kept mine up top. A lot of people like to swap a tire carrier from 2 door blazers to theirs. I like the idea, the only reason I haven't done the same is reduced visibility out the back window.

I am with you, my wife drives it sometimes and she said no way does she want too lose her rear view mirror. I on the other hand use both side mirrors, years of driving a semi truck lol...

Mike.308 01-08-2019 07:18 PM

You got my attention here :D
My ride have had the LPG installation in the past. The LPG tank was installed into a spare tire carrier, while the spare wheel was put into the trunk space.
There is no longer LPG, but I cannot put back the tire there. While installation they cut off the metal plate at the cable end together with a cable. I took out the lift to find out what could be done, but it's rusty, and some reported the spare wheels falling off these.

I have an idea of making the carrier underneath, but had no time yet for the project. A friend of mine told me to get a lift from Toyota van and adopt - nobody sells S10 lift in Poland and the Toyota ones are sturdy, stainless and affordable.

DAILY: I am driving with the spare tire lying flat into the trunk.

OUTDOOR: When I am loading for a family camping, I put it into a vertical position on aside, so the baggage will fit nicely.
And while camping, I'm dropping it on a ground, so it serves as a seat :P
When we setup for the night, the backpacks land on a front seat, and the tire under the Chevy, so the trunk is empty. Once the rear seats are folded, there is pretty enough space for two persons to sleep over night :D

DonL 01-08-2019 09:01 PM

Broke the cable on mine, kicking it to make sure it wasnt gonna fall while driving... good thing I did...

this is how I carry mine. And when I get more into it, I'll have a second spare on the roof.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/blazerf...c77cc09dd1.jpg
99 4 door blazer lt.

cleburne red 01-08-2019 09:42 PM

2dr carrier on mine! (4 door) Sure, you can't see out the back, but when the dude behind you has his high beams on, it blocks them nicely!
​​​​​​
Now, with my 33s on, I bet the back window will be completely blocked!

go chevy 01-08-2019 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by cleburne red (Post 700995)
2dr carrier on mine! (4 door) Sure, you can't see out the back, but when the dude behind you has his high beams on, it blocks them nicely!
​​​​​​
Now, with my 33s on, I bet the back window will be completely blocked!

The trick I found is running LED spot lights at the receiver hitch and "just aim them a bit high" and see how fast people who run their brights turn them off, especially once you turn yours on with them on your tail!

cleburne red 01-08-2019 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by go chevy (Post 701006)
The trick I found is running LED spot lights at the receiver hitch and "just aim them a bit high" and see how fast people who run their brights turn them off, especially once you turn yours on with them on your tail!

I'm actually in the process of installing some off road lights, and one pair is going to go on the roof aimed backwards.

Its for backing up on a trail after dark, but if they "accidentally" get turned on when some bozo is tailgating... Oopsie

Cimmerian 01-09-2019 10:26 AM

Man, you guys are lucky. I still can't even find a rear hatch tire carrier...