2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

spark at coil, none at spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 08:40 AM
Starting Member
JavierEscalonJr is on a distinguished road
Default spark at coil, none at spark plugs

Sorry if this has been answered I've tried searching since Saturday on here, google, and Bing. Its a 96 blazer 4.3L 4wd.
My sister was driving it she says she heard like 3 pops and it died, I got there tried to jump it nothing tried starter fluid because my fuel pump is going out nothing, so I started searching around so I figured it isn't getting spark I unplugged the coil from the distributor got a small orange spark switched it out got a blue spark. Then I removed cable 1 stuck a screwdriver in there no spark tried the second one no spark. I towed it home with a tow strap. Got there I removed the distributor and the rotor inspected found no cracks or anything. So my dad said to try the pickup coil in the distributor I replaced it no go. So now I am at a loss what could it be? Money is a bit tight right now
I really appreciate any help you guys can give me

Old 03-17-2014, 03:07 PM
burned is on a distinguished road

If you have a nice blue spark at the coil, then its either the coil wire to the distributor or the distributor cap and rotor.

Here is a guide for you to follow:
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm_mi...re_tests_3.php

Last edited by burned; 03-17-2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Added guide
Old 03-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Starting Member

Both rotor and cap have continuity I got the spark from the coil with its wire

Old 03-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Install an AC Delco cap & rotor, and a good quality set of plug wires, and you'll be good to go. Don't waste your time and money on an aftermarket cap & rotor.

EDIT: The sensor inside the distributor is the camshaft position sensor. It will not cause a no-start condition. You can unplug it and the engine will still start and run.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:48 PM
Starting Member

Would that cause the truck just die while driving? Cap and rotor were replaced about 12 months ago and I have some taylor cables on it,are they any good

Old 03-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Starting Member
scottl1346 is on a distinguished road

when a bad ignition coil is heated up it will cause the truck to die while driving

Old 03-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

A cap and rotor can fail without warning. Most of the time you can't see what's causing the problem. When the engine is at idle, approximately 7,000 to 10,000 volts jump the gap between the cap & rotor. That's a pretty serious spark, and aftermarket caps don't deal with it very long Gotta use AC Delco, and put a dab of silicone dielectric grease on each terminal, inside and out, of the cap. Good for 100K miles.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:05 PM
Starting Member

Will try tomorrow if I have time

Old 03-18-2014, 08:48 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for your help guys it started in a half crank just wondering why the cap failed like that in other news my grille broke it seems that it couldn't support my weight

Last edited by JavierEscalonJr; 03-18-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:58 PM

Aftermarket distributor caps are about worthless on this engine. Certain brands are worse than others, AZ being the worst.

Quick Reply: spark at coil, none at spark plugs