2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Spark Plugs/Spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Yankee Team1020 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Spark Plugs/Spark plug wires

What is the best Spark plug for an 1997 Chevy S10 blazer 4.3L? Also what would be th best Spark wire set with that plug?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:48 PM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road

AC Delco Platinum Tipped Plugs, and AC Delco wires. OEM for the 4.3L's ARE the best decision!

Old 07-23-2010, 12:44 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I agree completely. I have 60,000 miles on my OEM plugs.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:39 AM
snoitseuq14 is on a distinguished road

I DISAGREE!! IM CANADIAN SO THIS IS ALL IN KILOMETERS BUT HERE GOES:
I have 75 000km on my 2004 Blazer, at 60,000KM I took out the AC DELCO Double Platinums to clean and gap them, 2 out of 6 had lost the platinum pad on the ground electrode, I replaced them with another factory set of plugs I had laying around, after another 1000km I decided to take a look, they were ok, however never ran that great compared to the over gapped platinumless Delcos I took out. Rerplaced them with CHAMPION IRRIDIUMS (half the price of the AC DELCOS and better warranty) It starts better, Idles better. All around better. I also had good experience with NGK IRRIDIUM IX's (ran for 120 000km before I sold it NO PROBLEMS!) in my 1997 Blazer, I would avoid the shotty/over priced AC DELCOS. As for wires, go with Taylor Spiral Core, as again they are better quality for a better price. I would also recommend MSD products of all kinds.
ME:
Plugs: Champion Irridiums
Wires: Taylor Spiral core (1/3 of the resistance/foot than the delcos, and 2/3 the price)
Coil: MSD high voltage (lifetime warranty, and ignition control box compatable, when I get one of those I'll let you know how it works).

GM makes money by selling their parts, not their trucks, they make their OEM parts as cheaply as possible and sell them for as much as possible. They get away with it because most people aren't educated on the FACTS about these parts, and they pay the high prices thinking 'its made for my GM truck by GM it must be the best, no brainer' This couldn't be further from the truth...

Old 06-28-2011, 07:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

GM does not make AC Delco parts... Also, AC Delco doesn't make their own spark plugs.

Sounds like you either had some cheaper platinum AC Delco's mixed in for some reason. So long as those Champion Iridium plugs had a platinum ground electrode, you should enjoy long life out of them. What most people do though is toss a set of copper plugs or those gimic multi-ground plugs in and have their truck run like crap.

I have had bad luck with both Taylor and MSD kit wires on numerous applications. Used a warranty on both numerous times for quality issues with their connectors. Now, making my own wire sets, both Taylor & MSD bulk wire have been great.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Starting Member
dj00140 is on a distinguished road

Ac Delco Rapid fires if you want to stay cheap, or the platinums are always nice! Ac delco wires foSHO! Check out rock auto there good, Federal mogul wires are good Rockauto has a few left on closeout under the name Power Max I believe (they should be the only ones on closeout) if you want to save $40.00 and get quality wires! I mean Wires are Wires....

Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

I love the Ngk V-power plugs. I have then in all of my trucks etc. Throttle response improved a little. I have noticed i lost a mpg though using them.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:29 PM
TEALBlazer is on a distinguished road

my husband just replaced our spark plugs and wires, replacing the wires with the new ones as he took the old ones off... is there a reason why there is a new short wire left over??? is it for a different engine type? we have a V6 votek... thanks!!!!! guess we will start her up and see what happens!!!

Old 07-28-2011, 12:03 AM
Starting Member
red06sc is on a distinguished road

my dad has ran autolite stuff in all of his cars. anyone use them?

Old 07-28-2011, 02:58 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

I wont even run champions in my lawn mower.

Why would somebody remove plugs in a blazer and put old plugs back in baffles me. The jobs stinks. Plugs really arent that expensive.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs/Spark plug wires