2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

speed chip???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Beginning Member
diceman1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default speed chip???

hi,i'm new here.this is my first post...i am the prowd owner of an '02 ls 2 door...i was looking to add a little power.and improve mpg...i've already installed bosch platinum+2 plugs,and 7mm duralast wires,and have already noticed a difference...i was looking at several things on ebay...cold air intake,"speed chip",and a floblade...would any of these improve anything?here are some links

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...30782&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLAZE...QQcmdZViewItem

any help would be wonderful

Damon

Old 09-20-2007, 07:52 PM
WhiteTie BlackJacket is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: speed chip???

welcome to the forum!
idont know personally about the floblade, but everyone else on here says they suck, so dont waste your money there.
that chip, as cheap as it is, i wouldnt trust it.
the cold air intake, as long as it has a heat shield it will work. but if you can do it and wanna save some money, TripleBlackBlazer has a how to on his handmade cai for around 70 bucks.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Beginning Member

thanks for the reply,i work in a steel fab shop,so making a heat shield,or even a box for the filter won't be a problem..i could even make it out of some 2b(mirror) finishstainless to reflect and disipate heat better,,,

Damon

Old 09-20-2007, 09:09 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto on the chip. Cheap money-making gimmick. If anything it sends a signal to the computer telling it that the incoming air is colder and therefore dumping more gas in. Horsepower increase? Dunno about that one, but I'm sure the gas mileage will dwindle. And 20+ HP at that? If it's too good to be true...

The intake you linked to looks good. Echo again on what White Tie said, you'll definitely want a heat shield. If I pop the hood after a highway trip, my intake pipe is pretty dang cold-colder than it would be with the stock air box or even without a shield. Working where you do you should have no problem with that one. The link in my sig shows how I made one at home if it will be of any help to ya.

And...WELCOME!

EDIT: White Tie, thanks for the plug, I didn't realize you had written that before I mentioned it myself.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Beginning Member

thanks...that's the beauty of working where i work,scrap steel costs me a $5 minimum up to 100 lbs.,and then it's $00.05 a lbs. for black iron,and $00.10 a lbs. for stainless...and i have access to about any type of fabrication machine i could possibly need...from a 1250 ton pacific press brake,to a whitney the drills,punches,stamp, and plasmas,to a 10' x 2" mongomery plate roll,and just about everything in between...so you think i'd be alright with an ebay kit,as long as i make a heat shield,or duct the intake past the radiator?...again,thanks for the help guy's...i'll try to get some pics up of my ride in a day or two,i wasn't real keen on the 2 door at first,but it was the right price,and i've grown quite fond of it...traded my '98 4 banger s-10 ext cab off for it...

Damon

Old 09-21-2007, 12:21 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum.

Definately dont buy that "SpeedChip"!!!!! All it is, is a resistor in a housing that you clamp on to some wire that fools your computer into thinking the intake air temp is like at 39degrees F, which I guess is supposed to be optimal. However if its not that cold of an air intake the mixture wont mix right and you will run rich, causing carbon build ups on the plugs and exhaust, it will smell gassy and will decrease your gas mileage.

The intake doesnt look bad, just have to fab up a headshield like the others said.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Starting Member
blazen99 is on a distinguished road

nice do it your self slide show...

Old 05-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, as others have already said, do not waste your time and money on the vortex generators or resistors in a box. They simply do not work. A good, true CAI will free up the intake track restrictions.