2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Speed Sensor Location?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 03:02 PM
run_girl is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Speed Sensor Location?

I'm adding to my saga!

I do know how to search the forums for advice and help (thank you to everyone that contributes their knowledge!) - but this one is tricky for me.

Where is the speed sensor on a Blazer? I'm not throwing any codes - but my ABS light is on and I've replaced the speed sensors on the wheels a few months ago - and on top of that, the parking brake light flashes on and off from time to time. The new sensors on the wheels didn't solve my issue. I'm guessing there are other speed sensors, but I don't know where they are located.

Thanks, everyone!

Old 06-23-2017, 06:09 PM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Normally the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) sits on the output shaft of the transmission or transfer case.

SPEED SENSOR:
Not too sure about the 2nd gen 2004 but it should be pretty much the same as the 1st gen.
In that case it could sit at the output shaft of the transfer case to the rear axle (AFAIK).

ABS SENSORS
What you mention about the "speed sensors on the wheels" is the ABS sensors which are paired with the reluctor wheels on the hubs (the toothed crown). While the sensor itself normally sits on the brake assembly inside of the rotor.

Q's:
Did you have a particular reason to change the ABS wheel sensors?
Thrown any codes in relation to that?

Old 06-25-2017, 08:04 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

run_girl: I assume you have checked the brake fluid level, right?
A common problem with our Blazers is the ABS module develops cracked solder joints which then causes the ABS and BRAKE lites to illuminate.
This is somewhat of an easy, $0 fix...although must need to know how to solder and have time/patience to remove the seal.
The good thing is that the vehicle can still be driven without the ABS module...just will not have the Anti-Lock Brake feature....have to go back to "old school" and not lock the brakes up and go into a skid.

To do this "fix" the ABS module needs to be removed and taken apart, the solder joints on the solenoids and power connector re-flowed, re-assembly ABS module and put back.
Takes a few hours due to cutting through the seal to get the cover off.
Would be glad to do this for you, but am on other side of the USA. You could ship it to me....let me know if you want to go that route.

Good luck.