2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

speedometer replace

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 01:37 AM
lylebig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default speedometer replace

I have 96 blazer with 90k on it. The trip meter is broken and i want to replace I guess the whole unit will be easier. As i have been looking at ebay some say that the milage will revert back to the 90 k that is on the vehicle or there not sure what it will do. Does any one have an answer? will the computer take a 120kunitand put it back to the 90k that is on the vehicle?

Old 12-22-2006, 03:33 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: speedometer replace

The trucks long term mileage information is stored in computer memory, probably the BCM. If you were to buy a speedo/tripmeter replacement off of E-bay it would display your current mileage of your car. Federal Law makes it a felony and a hefty fine to change that number...plus how would you like to pay for a low mileage car and find out that it was high mileage and ready to hurl its guts...lots of people in the 60's to 80's were screwed like this with the older mechanical odometers....

Old 12-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Although true that Federal law makes it a felony to tamper with the mileage, so long as you report any mileage variation to your DMV, you are fine. The Feds know that sometimes clusters fail and need replacing. But now-a-days, a quick carfax report should put your mind at ease.

And yes, the mileage information is stored in the BCM so another cluster would plug in and have the correct information.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the information. Just to set the story straight. I was looking to purchase a higher mileage unit 120k than what is on the truck 90k. So technically i would have been doing the higher numbers to myself. in turn would bring me less money for the truck. But seeing as the computer will adjust it to the correct amount I guess it really does not matter (its mute). I just want to add one more question to be sure. this is not a digital dash. Still will go to the original mileage. (hope)

Old 12-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does your cluster have the role style mechanical odometer or a digital odometer? If it has the mechanical, then the cluster will retain the mileage. If digital, it gets it from the BCM. I think I missed the vehicle information in the first post...

Old 12-22-2006, 11:52 PM
bfever is an unknown quantity at this point

If your odometer is digital, the memory is in the cluster,NOT the BCM. If you have an analog odometer then the answer is obvious (I hope). The Feds won't freak out as long as you don't try to deceive someone. I have replaced numerous clusters for numerous reasons. You can have the odometer reprogrammed at the dealership for about $40, they have to send it out. I would say it isn't worth it. Just take two pictures of the two odometer readings when you do the swap. You will then have proof that the odometer went from 90K to 120K overnight and then you can just do the math.

Old 12-23-2006, 01:27 AM

Thanks. Swartikk that is what i thought digital will go with the computer and analog will be what it is, will not change.
Thanks hfever picture is a good idea. I would not spend the 40 bucks thanks for all input.

Old 12-23-2006, 01:37 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

If yours is mechanical which i know it is not, find some old speedometer cable and a reversible drill and rotate the numbers slowly. I remember working at a dealer as a teenager in the Late '70's and one of the mechanics who worked on the new cars before delivery had to replace a cluster/odometer that was not functioning. And the new cluster did not have the correct mileage so he used an electric drill to make the changes in the shortes time, or he would have had to take a pair of pliers to grab the part needed and take the better part of the work shift. With the electric drill he got it done in minutes...