2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Spider issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 10:10 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mike.308
Simplifying things in regards to the above, You may hardwire one side of the coils to the positive +12V battery line. Then, You may tie the other ends together and apply the negative power line to have them opened. If You direct the nozzles into a set of 6 glasses, then You may compare if they spray same amount over time. With this manner You don't need any source of PWM pulse generator....
Yes, you have other options if the injectors are not completely installed. Of course most people dispense with any of this and parts swap in the suspect areas but guys like me and Mike like to do more investigating. Technical curiosity can be a double edge sword I am afraid but parts swapping is only faster and cheaper if you get lucky.

I read a lot of threads that start with, "I have already replaced ................. and still no joy."

George

Old 04-22-2019, 02:11 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Technical curiosity can be a double edge sword I am afraid
More like a magic wand, that turns You into a geek LOL Yep, it's a (life) time spoiler.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:07 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mike.308
More like a magic wand, that turns You into a geek LOL Yep, it's a (life) time spoiler.
Appreciated by few, for the benefit by many. LOL

Old 04-23-2019, 08:56 PM
Nola 77 is on a distinguished road
Default Guess im gonna bite the bullet and put a new spider in

I can't even visualize how one would go about putting 6 cups under the hood and catching the fuel from the injectors for flow rate comparison my sanity is worth more than that

Old 04-24-2019, 01:10 AM

LOL Neither me. But no one said it has to be under the hood...

Old 04-24-2019, 07:22 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Nola 77
Thanks thats what I needed to hear was really hoping th distributor sent the signalfr the injectors to fire since there is not currently a distributor installed
Sequential fuel injection is triggered by the crank sensor, but which one fires is determined by the cam position sensor. If you unplug the cam position sensor, the engine will still run, but this is because the fuel injection goes into a mode where it pulses banks of injectors.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:12 PM

So could that be the reason its spraying fuel into the cylinders? Because there's no cam position signal?

Old 04-24-2019, 02:36 PM

So could that be the reason its spraying fuel into the cylinders? Because there's no cam position signal?
According to what Les has posted above, missing cam signal will not let the ECM determine what is an exact position of the cam shaft. Therefore the system doesn't know what part of the cycle is taking place. So, instead of emergency shutting down Your engine, it sprays the fuel through all the "valves" (=injector) at a given bank. This would mean running rich. And, cutting to the point, the answer to Your question is "yes".
You may disconnect the cam plug and see if it affects the engine running.
If You have a person that is skilled in electronics, You may ask for checking whether the spider injectors run into a sequence of firing order or by bank (as when cam signal is missing).

Old 04-24-2019, 04:04 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

It would set a P1351 if there was no cam sensor signal. SWartllk has given you good advice some time back.

Last edited by LesMyer; 04-24-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:14 PM

Ok so to clarify the truck 8s not running period. I resealed the lim and replaced the distributor while i was in there. Also i had an updated spider that came with the truck when i hooked fuel lines up it filoed the cylinders with fuel preventing me from turning the crank to tdc for distributor install. I have never seen this spider run as the engine it came on was destroyed either from coolant in the oil or leaking oil lines thought maybe 8 would get lucky with the mpfi injector but doesn't seem to be going my way lol

Quick Reply: Spider issue