2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

spindle nut removal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:49 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

if you can get to the nut with the wheel on

I had a few problems getting mine off. First I couldnt find a heavy-enough duty extension. The deep well socket was not tall enough to get out past the lip of the my rim (took the center cap off, put rim back on), so I tried a short extension...twisted the extension in no time..then I used an impact extension, and ended up breaking a cheap Harbor Freight socket wrench...ended up having to buy a bigger breaker bar, but the extension still torqued and twisted and is not usable anymore.

I had to end up taking the rim off. I used a thick screw driver and jammed it down in the rotor slots, and turned the rotor so that the screw driver's barrel was against the caliper bracket. Still took a few feet of pipe and lots of force, but it came loose. Air tools are your friend after you break it loose!

Last edited by WolfPack; 12-01-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

By far the easiest method is with an air impact!

Old 12-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Beginning Member
echild is on a distinguished road

no luck yet! i broke two breaker bars and a electric impact today..even with a few feet of pipe it didnt budge.....next up is a air impact! if that dont work its going on a tow truck and right to the shop...lol

Old 12-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WolfPack
I had to end up taking the rim off. I used a thick screw driver and jammed it down in the rotor slots, and turned the rotor so that the screw driver's barrel was against the caliper bracket. Still took a few feet of pipe and lots of force, but it came loose. Air tools are your friend after you break it loose!
X2!!!

Originally Posted by echild
no luck yet! i broke two breaker bars and a electric impact today..even with a few feet of pipe it didnt budge.....next up is a air impact! if that dont work its going on a tow truck and right to the shop...lol
Umm, just checking here, but lefty loosy, righty tighty?

Old 12-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Beginning Member

yeah i was turning it lefty..lol...

Old 12-02-2009, 01:37 PM
jstutzman is on a distinguished road

36mm deep at autozone loaner tool, i have a good 1/2 impact, I set the air pressure at 90 psi and it buzzed it right off. I tried with conventional tools for about 1 min and said "f" that. Good luck

Old 12-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Beginning Member

yeah i need a good air impact...

Old 12-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Beginning Member

ok after 1 more breaker bar down and no luck on the air impact.i am lost,what else can be done?

Old 12-04-2009, 02:55 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Other than finding a good 1/2" to 1" impact, putting a torch on it is the only other thing I can think of.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Change where you are buying your breaker bars... I have only broken one breaker bar in all of them that I have (mis-) used and that one was 20+ years old already and a little loose at the head. I have a heavy knuckle Craftsman 1/2" long bar that has really held up quite well.

Be careful with the heat if you do it. Heat it some then cool it down with penetrating oil and then heat it again and try to loosen it. If it doesn't come, repeat.

Quick Reply: spindle nut removal?