2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

spindle nut removal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 07:43 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Cheap tools aren't always the greatest...lol
I agree with torching it though. heating it up can help a lot.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:24 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Be careful with the heat. Too much can ruin the wheel bearing seal which will lead to bearing failure or or worse yet even lead to breaking the axle.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terry s
Be careful with the heat. Too much can ruin the wheel bearing seal or worse yet lead to bearing failure or even breaking the axle.
This leads me to the part I left out of my reply (work call so I submitted it as is and promptly forgot about it)...

You CAN NOT use a plumbers torch to heat these things. You need a real oxygen/acetylene torch to put as much heat into the nut as you can in as short a period of time as possible. If you try to heat the nut with a little hand held propane or even map gas torch, you'll ruin things for sure because you are going to lose so much heat to conduction that it'll take forever to heat up the nut properly.

Thermal shock is what you are after, not just the expanding of the nut. Thermal shock is what will break loose the nut and allow you to remove it. Rapid heating coupled with rapid cooling will loosen things up nicely!

Old 12-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Beginning Member
echild is on a distinguished road

yeah i am using a little oxy torch....and the wheel bearing is shot anyway

Old 12-04-2009, 09:18 PM
cc4usa is on a distinguished road

since the bearing is bad heat the mother up and spray it with pb blaster.
ive removed frozen kingpins on class 8 trucks with heat and pb blaster. got the steering knuckle red hot and poured pb blaster into the top portion of the kingpin. smoked like hell and slowly the blaster and the dried grease and rust oozed out and the kingpin almost fell out (slight nudging with my air chisel)
but you get the point. heat and blaster then bang on it with your impact.
if you have an impact driver use a 1/2 ext and hit the mother while its hot and it should turn a bit

Old 12-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Beginning Member
echild is on a distinguished road

well it finally came off!it took a 3/4 in. breaker bar and a 6 ft pipe.i still had to bounce like h*** on it for 5 mins!