2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Couple of questions....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Beginning Member
madhatter256 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Couple of questions....

Hey guys. I have a few questions.

**First one is that I'm having an issue with the driver's window. In the morning, when I leave to work and the windows are all foggy and covered in dew from the difference in temperature.. I pull up to a toll station to get on the freeway. I make the window go down, but when I press it again to make it go back up it is sometimes unresponsive! Sometimes, lately, it does go up, but only for a few inches and then it stops. I wait a few seconds and then try again and it goes up a little bit further but not all the way. I continue this until it reaches the top. By that time I'm either cold because I'm driving 70mph and lately the morning weather is below 60degrees.

This only started to happen about a month after I got this SUV, which was back in July of this year. The weird part is that it only does it in the morning! It can be 50degrees out side at 12noon and the driver's side window works just fine going up and down when I want it too. Therefore I'm not entirely sure what the problem is: whether it is a gear, or motor, or switch issue. Any ideas on what it could be? I hate having to open the door at the toll station. Or worse, not have it come back up ever again!

**The other question... My friend will eventually move and we plan on using a uhaul trailer since I can haul it with my Jimmy. The thing is, the SUV doesn't have a transmission cooler and the some of her stuff is up in Jacksonville at her parents house - a lot of it. She currently lives with in Orlando at an apartment, and she will be moving into a house. We want to make it a single trip up there. My concern is that I do not want the transmission to overheat as I'm hauling the stuff non-stop from Jacksonville to Orlando, especially if the load is heavy. Are there transmission coolers I can get and install onto my SUV? Are there any other benefits into installing one regardless if we use a trailer or not?

**Last question is that there is this noise. It's like a buzzing sound most likely coming from the dashboard on the driver's side. It's very annoying. Anyone else had an issue like this? If so, what could be causing it?

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-06-2008, 09:36 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Couple of questions....

I will help with the second question.

Synergy Offroad sells the B&M trans cooler on their site and he is a member here. Good guy to deal with. Click HERE for the page.

Trans cooler is a good idea whether you are towing or not. I am fairly certain the one I just linked to has a bypass in it so that if it is too cold outside it will not cool the trans any further.

Hope the trip goes well!

Old 12-06-2008, 11:10 PM
PABlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

i've had the same problems with my driver window also... somtimes it won't go up and other times it will... when it doesn't i just wait a few minutes and it goes right up... if u find out what is causing this let me no plz...

Old 12-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The B&M Supercoolers have a viscosity controlled bypass and are great at cooling when necessary. I still block mine off through NY winters as it does take a bit of time for the transmission fluid to reach the proper operating temperature and with freezing temps most of the time, even that bypass results in cooling of the fluid.

As far as your window goes, that could be a weak motor or something out of alignment. The windows can be a pain to align the tracks and you can make it worse.

The buzzing noise could be actually coming from the engine compartment. I have seen this noise be caused by the cruise or throttle cable resting on the hose that runs from the PCV valve to the intake manifold (~3/4" diameter rubber hose). Just follow the cruise and throttle cables from the passenger side of the throttle body around to the driver side of the motor and make sure that they are not resting on anything that they are not supposed to be.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:40 AM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

My driver's window does the same damned thing, and I'll SWEAR the window KNOWS that it's freezing out, because that's the only time it does it. Freezing or raining. I get out of my truck to check the mail, now that it's winter, because if I don't......

Anyway, I SEEM to have had some luck with prying up the window switch panel, on the door skin. Wiggling the wires USUALLY helps, but not 100% of the time.

Funny though, now that you mention it, it's almost always when I first start it up, that it won't go back up.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:34 AM
BGwood88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure when your towing to keep your transmission in 3rd. i burnt 1up b4 having it in drive.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As stated in many other threads by many people (myself included), the only reason to run in 3rd while towing is if the transmission is continuously hunting for the right gear. If you can maintain speed in OD (4th), with the torque converter locked up, you will not hurt a thing. Running in 3rd unnecessarily will work, but you will use more fuel.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, Kyle. My cousin is always telling me that I shouldn't tow in OD, but I do it anyway, since it's alot of highway towing. Good to hear!

Old 12-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Beginning Member

My Jimmy has a button called TOW/HAUL. I have yet to tow anything, but I know to press that and I've been told by my step dad that it alters the gear switching in the transmission. If its heavy, of course I'll put it in third gear and have that button pressed.

Glad to know I'm not the only one with the window problem[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

I will check that throttle cable. Thanks.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Beginning Member

I have another, more simple question. The Oil Pressure gauge. What is the normal range it is supposed to be in? This is my first car with such a gauge.

Quick Reply: Couple of questions....