2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

sputtering and smell of unburnt gas out tail pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:42 PM
4x4willywill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sputtering and smell of unburnt gas out tail pipe?

ok so yeah i got the code to clear last night THEN today i started it up andtherewas the damn code again! then i cleared it with anpocket scan odb2 scanner and cranked it back up and nothing(year make and info on signature)

but when i am idleing its fine but when i start to take off it sputters till i mash it harder and it lessens , fouled plug/s??? they are new but i reaked havoc on them while adjusting disty in MANY different ways lol..

any ideas?

has new
cap
rotor
plugs
wires
pick up coil aka camshaft sensor
didnt change fuel filter yet cause its smelling rich thru tail pipe so im pretty sure im getting more then enough fuel lol problem is i think too much fuel or somethings not firing ????

also IF i do need to replace the disty as i put mine thru hell tinkering with it and god only knows what the previous owner has done to it .. does anyone here have a disty for a 95 4.3l vortec "W" motor for sale cheapish?

thanks for ANY help
WIll H.
Cleveland Ohio

Old 12-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: sputtering and smell of unburnt gas out tail pipe?

I would start by testing the fuel pressure with the key on as well as the leak down once you turn the key off. I suspect a fuel pressure regulator failure, dumping fuel into the lower intake, causing a rich condition. The fuel pressure test port is located at the back of the intake manifold towards the driver's side. Remove the cap and install a fuel pressure gauge. Turn the key on and record the pressure (should be 55-60psi). Turn the key off and monitor the pressure. You should see a 2-5 psi drop once the pump is turned off (i.e. key off), but it should not drop too much further. If it drops to zero, you have a leak somewhere in the system.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:22 PM

here is a pic of My engine styleso you can see which motor i actually have since i know there is 3 different versions lol

Old 12-23-2007, 10:30 PM

btw OMG the engine is frickin DIRTY lol ... btw i paid only 850$ for the truck which i think was a dang good deal lol

Old 12-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I had assumed you had the CPI motor. For '95, I believe this was the only choice in the s-blazer. Check the fuel pressure and let us know.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:45 AM

where would be the best place to buy a cheap pressure tester?? im guessin Harbor Freight?

Old 12-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Harbor Freight should have one. Your nearest autoparts store should also have one. I think I spent $20 on mine from Advanced Auto. I have used it too many times to count and it has been an indispensable tool in my toolbox on many occasions.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:18 PM

ok imma pick one up today and take a look see and post my results

Old 12-27-2007, 11:18 PM

ok SO i fixed the problem with my truck!

For those who MAY get these same sympton/s ... "error code P1345 aka ckp to cmp correalation".. and/or "sputtering oneasy acceleration, sputtering is gone when ya stomp on the gas"

My distributor was inline with TDC on the compression strock BUT the distributor was NOT aligned properly(like the factory does)... sotheprevious owner i believe, tried to TWIST the rotor off and turned the part the rotor screws onto, and thus throwing it out of alignment to where NO MATTER WHAT TOOTH you put it too it will NEVER work within those wonderful (2degrees -or+ aka .5mm per degree) lol ...

SO short rundown, if distributor DOES NOT lineDIRECTLY up with the "6" when inserted COMPLETELY and bolted down... either one of two things is happening...

1)you are off by 1 or more teeth (most likely 1 tooth)
or
2) the disty is crap get a new one ... but make sure you check , check and RECHECK b4 buying a new one , and then even check the new one !!

hope this helps ANYONE that might ..(God forbid this ever happens to anyone else) get this problem like i was unlucky to get lol