2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

stalling for unknown reaon, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:47 PM
eastsiderides is an unknown quantity at this point
Default stalling for unknown reaon, HELP

I have a 95 S10 Blazer, 4.3L w/ 101,000 miles on it. It's always ran great until recently. It started stalling a couple times. It's never done that in the 11 years that I've owner it. I brought it to the mechanic who checked it out and found nothing. I put some dry gas in it incase I got a batch of bad fuel. It ran fine for a few days but then stalled on my twice the other day. Once on the interstate going about 60 and then at the off ramp.
When I brought it to the mechanic the first time for the stalling he changed the serpentine belt, added coolant, checkred my o2 sensors, hooked it up to the computer and couldn't find anything worng. Any help is appreciated.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:54 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: stalling for unknown reaon, HELP

how long after driving it does it stall??? and does it start right back up with no problems???

Old 01-01-2008, 11:10 PM
4x4willywill is an unknown quantity at this point

replace fuel filter ! thats my suggestion, plus the cheapest thing to replace lol

Old 01-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

A running engine tends not to want to stop unless it stops receiving something it needs to keep runnings, mainly fuel, air, spark and the timing of those things in sequence. The first choice is obviously fuel starvation, but I'd also check your battery cables too. I once had my car die on me for no apparent reason and discovered the negative battery connection had loosened/corrosion buildup to the point of no contact. A quick cleanup and re-tighten fixed everything. Test your fuel pump with a gage on the fuel rail, start up pressure needs to be about 60 psi, running pressure should be about 52-58 +/- psi. A weak or dying pump will shut off fuel delivery to the engine (and a clogged filter certainly wouldn't help). Doesn't sound like air, spark or timing are involved since you can get it running (at least to get it to the mechanic anyway). I'd start with the battery and then the fuel pump. Good Luck.

Another thing I'll throw in: when it stalls or starts to stall, do the electrics (gauges, dash, etc..) suddenly flicker like a "brownout"? I once had a vehicle that the internal diode pack in the alternator fried itself. You may want to have your alternator bench tested just to rule that component out (and have them do it twice if it fails the first time...AutoZone once bench tested my alternator and it failed miserably...I asked them to try again after adjusting their connections and it PASSED with flying colors...there was nothing wrong with that particular alternator...caveat emptor (let the buyer beware).

Old 01-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to throw in the suggestion that it may be the start of a failing ignition switch...