2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starter problem, back firing, need advice

Old 06-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Beginning Member
cdw78 is on a distinguished road
Default Starter problem, back firing, need advice

I bought a 97 4door / 4wd Blazer yesterday for $200.00
It needs a lotta TLC, but well worth it as its almost a perfect body with only one small dent on the door.

The issues I have found with it ( belonged to a young guy who didnt take care of it ) is that when you try to start it, the starter will turn over the engine for a half second and then just spin ( with out turning the engine over any more ) could this be a Bendix or the starter itself ?

They had to use starting fluid to get it started, not sure if this is because the engine wont turn over long enough with the starter not working like it is or if its more than that, as they had also replaced the fuel pump a while back.....
When I started it up, it ran perfect, so quiet I couldnt even tell it was on.

Now, after sitting all night and day ( using starting fluid to start ) it wants to idle fine, but seems like it doesnt want to take the gas anymore, it bogs and the more gas you give, the less it takes and drop the rpm unless you give it to it slowly, it back fires in the air intake too when you try to give it gas quickly. If I cut it off and leave it off a few mins, it will start on its own, with out fluid, IF you can get the starter to engage long enough to spin the engine.

Any ideas as to where to start ?

Thanks!
Chris

Last edited by cdw78; 06-15-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:56 AM
chaoticdopey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cdw78
I bought a 97 4door / 4wd Blazer yesterday for $200.00
It needs a lotta TLC, but well worth it as its almost a perfect body with only one small dent on the door.

The issues I have found with it ( belonged to a young guy who didnt take care of it ) is that when you try to start it, the starter will turn over the engine for a half second and then just spin ( with out turning the engine over any more ) could this be a Bendix or the starter itself ?

They had to use starting fluid to get it started, not sure if this is because the engine wont turn over long enough with the starter not working like it is or if its more than that, as they had also replaced the fuel pump a while back.....
When I started it up, it ran perfect, so quiet I couldnt even tell it was on.

Now, after sitting all night and day ( using starting fluid to start ) it wants to idle fine, but seems like it doesnt want to take the gas anymore, it bogs and the more gas you give, the less it takes and drop the rpm unless you give it to it slowly, it back fires in the air intake too when you try to give it gas quickly. If I cut it off and leave it off a few mins, it will start on its own, with out fluid, IF you can get the starter to engage long enough to spin the engine.

Any ideas as to where to start ?

Thanks!
Chris
to me it sounds like the starter gear is worn and stops engaging after a second. pull the started and test it make sure the gear is not worn and engaging properly.
and for the bogging is there any codes being thrown? sounds to me like its running lean, is there any black smoke when reving?

i suggest check fuel pressure and check and see what color spark plugs are, if white i believe its running lean, if black its running rich. also check all your vacuum lines and make sure they are not degrading, if im correct autozone sells the hose for $1 for 2 feet.

Last edited by chaoticdopey; 06-15-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The cranking problem could also be a weak solenoid. Kicks the bendix out fine to start, but doesn't hold properly resulting in the starter disengaging.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the replies -
Having the starter tested will help figure out what the issue is, whether is be the solenoid or starter itself, correct?

The main thing I am concerned about it why it ran fine the first time I started it ( after not running in 6mths or more ) then sits over night and now runs badly! No smoke at all as far as I can tell, I am not @ the truck now but will double check later.

I dont have any check engine lights or anything - theres one vac hose that is dry rotted ( have not inspected all of them yet ) that goes to the ball on the left side near the cowl panel.

Last edited by cdw78; 06-15-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:48 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Has the battery been disconnected (or dead) the whole time it wasnt driven? If so, the codes might be gone.

Take care of the starter first. Be sure to check connections going to it also.

Once you can crank it reliably you can start diagnosing the rest of it. It is probably a bunch of simple easy stuff.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Starting Member
WalkGood is on a distinguished road

Is there a crank position sensor on this model year?

If a CPS is faulty and the computer "thinks" the engine is running, will the starter then be locked-out?

CPS problems will cause all kinds of running/starting issues.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Beginning Member

I believe the cable was off while it sat. I disconnected it also over night, then the issue showed up

Old 06-15-2011, 11:04 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

If the crank position sensor had the capability of locking out the starter, I wouldnt look like an idiot when i tried to start my "Already running" truck.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:10 AM
chaoticdopey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by WalkGood
Is there a crank position sensor on this model year?

If a CPS is faulty and the computer "thinks" the engine is running, will the starter then be locked-out?

CPS problems will cause all kinds of running/starting issues.
that would be awesome if it were true. and kristoph30 - ive been there many times =)

Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Starting Member
WalkGood is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chaoticdopey
that would be awesome if it were true. and kristoph30 - ive been there many times =)

Some cars have that starter lock-out when the engine is already running. Smart idea.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter problem, back firing, need advice