2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starting/Running Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Starting/Running Problems

It is quite possible that the timing chain is at fault here. The difficult thing is that you will not know without pulling the front of the motor apart.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Beginning Member
Ballysto is an unknown quantity at this point

Very true, but it is possible since it keeps slipping teeth. But yet still, even if the timing chain is loose/shot, wouldn't the engine still receive spark? As of yet, I can still crank and crank, timing is set on the money, has fuel and air, still no spark. That's what my father and I can't figure out/understand.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that depends. With the computer control in these vehicles, the computer may know that it is not in proper time...

Old 11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Beginning Member

Another little update of information my father failed to mention. It wasn't necessarily the other distributors that started the truck, but everytime we get a new sensor that's connected to the distributor near the cap, not sure what that one's called at the moment, but every time we get a new one it fires right up for a while, and then dies.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Beginning Member

Update: Good news! Got a new timing chain, old one had a bit of slack, enough to slip teeth, so we got the new one on and got it all timed right thanks to the EDI Timing thread! But bad news as well, after starting and running, as usual, spark cut out. BUT, now I at least have some SES codes. P0102, probably because the MAF is unplugged so no worries, but on top of that I have P0339, P0341, and P1345, all relating to the Crankshaft/Camshaft Positioning Sensors. Any ideas? We've changed the Camshaft Position Sensor perhaps 3 times, changing between the ones we have, and that's what usually makes it spark and start, but then dies and doesn't start again. And that was started just temporarily to test timing before the fan and all was even put back on. Now that it's all completely together, it won't start or spark

Edit: Did some more research. Since everything is in time and in sync, I've read a bit about this case learn deal with Tech2 scanners and all. Might I have to do that before it properly runs again?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Well, I did have a good response typed up, but got an error...

Anyway, run a search on the codes that you have. I had linked to the relevant threads, but lost it all and have some things to do.

Here is a run down on the diagnostic charts though:
P0339:
DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
Inspect the face of the CKP sensor for metallic particles. This could result in an intermittent DTC.

Check for the following conditions:
* A chipped or damaged reluctor wheel
* An incorrect reluctor wheel
* The incorrect alignment of the CKP sensor to the reluctor wheel
* Excessive crankshaft end play
* Refer to Symptoms. See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures

An intermittent may be caused by any of the following conditions
* A poor connection
* Rubbed through wire insulation
* A broken wire inside the insulation

Thoroughly inspect any circuitry that is suspected of causing the intermittent complaint. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Diagrams.

If a repair is necessary, refer to Wiring Repairs or Connector Repairs in Diagrams.

Diagnostic Chart (Part 1 Of 2)

Diagnostic Chart (Part 2 Of 2)

TEST DESCRIPTION
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.
3. This step checks the ignition positive voltage circuit to the crankshaft position sensor.
5. This step checks the duty cycle of the crankshaft position sensor.
P0341:
DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
Refer to Symptoms. See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures

An intermittent may be caused by any of the following conditions:
* A poor connection
* Rubbed through wire insulation
* A broken wire inside the insulation

Thoroughly inspect any circuitry that is suspected of causing the intermittent complaint. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Diagrams.

If a repair is necessary, refer to Wiring Repairs or Connector Repairs in Diagrams.

Diagnostic Chart

TEST DESCRIPTION
The numbers below refers to the step numbers in the diagnostic table.
2. Complete diagnosing all other DTCs before performing this diagnostic.
3. This step checks for an electromagnetic interference caused by improper harness routing.
For P1345, the diagnostic chart is listed in the DIY article.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Beginning Member

Update: Talked to a mechanic, said no matter if those sensors were bad or not it should still fire or run, so he let us borrow another ICM and all, swapped 'em and surely enough it fired up, a bit rough so we gotta' check out the timing some more, but if that does it then it should be fixed! I'll test those sensors in your diagnostic charts you gave me just to be safe, but if it all works out I'll let you guys know! I hope no one else ever has this problem, haha. Thanks for all the help swartlkk and Peru Motors! My oh my, the dedication we put into Blazers...[sm=smiley17.gif]

Edit: I take it all back, lost spark again for who knows what reason, so towing it down to the shop and throwing it on the Tech2 scanner to see what's up with timing and everything else, maybe a case learn, who knows what it needs...

Old 11-26-2008, 06:22 PM
blazin8556 is an unknown quantity at this point

i am very very interested in finding out what the problem is with your truck.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Beginning Member

Alright, so after about a month I think I can rightfully say my problem is solved, at least for the past week anyway. What the problem was was a pinched and barely hanging wire to my coil, killing spark and such occasionally as well as timing, but all that was fine after the many times we checked it anyway, just had to repair the one wire and it fired up like a champ! Now I just have to figure out my other silly problems of my odometer resetting, my throttle sticking, my draw on one of my fuses, and see what is wrong with my gas tank vent, haha. Thank you all for all the help!