2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starts then shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:07 PM
burned is on a distinguished road
Default Starts then shuts off

Hi, me again.
Have one I cant figure out. I was driving to work this morning and my truck died. Started right back up and made it to work. On the way home I got a few miles then it dies again. This time I got it towed home.

I have 60 psi KOEO and it holds. Drops down to 52 when running then back up to 60 psi when it stalls. I have changed the fuel filter and MAP, and pulled an O2 before the cat. Thought maybe it was plugged. It will always start but wont last for long. No check engine codes. When I was driving around last night I had the computer hooked up and everything looked good. Fuel trims were below 8%. So I cant see it being a vacuum leak.

It also has a brand new AC Delco ignition switch.

Last edited by burned; 09-24-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

It sounds to me like the ignition switch. This happened to me a couple times and it turned out to be the ignition switch. But my truck only died when i was going about 15 mph or less maybe just coincidence but it always started right back up. unfortunately its kind of hard to find out for sure tho. 97 does have a bad rep for ignition switches.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:55 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

DO you notice any weird things when she stalls ? Like no dash lights or the motor cranks and cranks till the dash lights back up ?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:57 AM

It fires up like normally. I really cant see it being the switch. Its a new AC Delco that is around 3 weeks old. There is no way the contacts are bad already. Beside its not doing what it did when the switch went before.
Knowing my luck I think my fuel pump is not putting out the volume it should.
Thanks for the ideas though.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
DO you notice any weird things when she stalls ? Like no dash lights or the motor cranks and cranks till the dash lights back up ?
No nothing like that.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:41 AM
spittybays

Hey Burned, I had a similar issue shortly after replacement of ignition switch. I got back under and unbolted the harness connector block put some dielectric grease in and slapped it back together. I was lucky no problems since also the trouble was not the same as when the switch failed.
If your like me you kind of put that stuff on every thing. The wire from the coil to the cap on mine is a bit tough to get to and with the grease it kind of slipped from the cap. You might want to check if thats in there good. It caused a stall issue for me a couple of times that was hard to track. Also make sure you have 12v to the coil, key on. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2012, 12:34 PM

I have re checked the ignition switch and see no problems with it. As far as I remember I had no more problems after I had replaced it.
I have been thinking about when this problem arose, and I remember it happening after we replaced the heads.

Symptoms:
Starter would not engage one day, till after a few tries (starter is 1 year old BTW)
Engine would randomly shut off
Starts back up but varies how long it stays running.

So I am wondering about the grounds at the back of the heads. As far as I know there are two aren't there? And what are they for?
I am not sure because I had a friend helping me who was undoing the stuff at the back of the heads.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:01 PM

I think I got it.
The red wire from the ignition to the starter was corroded. It snapped off when I touched it, so I put a new ring terminal on the wire.
Then while fishing around at the back of the heads while cursing GM engineers, I found 2 ring terminal connectors on the drivers side just hanging there. My friend and I forgot to connect them back up, lol. For now I wrapped a wire around the ring terminals and connected it to the EGR hose bolt on the intake manifold for a ground.
Hopefully that's it!