2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Steering Wheel Is Deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 05:54 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default Steering Wheel Is Deteriorating

Just wondering if others have had this problem:

Whenever the humidity gets really high or the steering wheel rim gets wet, it begins to get sticky and then begins to crumble and gets all over your hand!

Appears to be only the top portion of the rim (the portion that sees the most sun.)

Is there something I can put onto the rim to stop this or do I need to find a replacement?

Once dry again, all is pretty much fine. (Good think I live in the desert huh!)

Last edited by LannyL81; 09-14-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:22 AM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

I don't think theres much you can do to save the rubber wheel once they start coming apart....I swapped mine with a leather wrapped wheel off a silverado from the junkyard.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:23 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I've got the same problem on my '95. High humidity, and your hands will be all black and sticky after.

No real solution from me; my wife bought me one of those "Chevy" wal-mart leather steering wheel covers. Now my hands stay clean!

Old 09-14-2014, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the replies....good to know that I am not the only one to experience this problem.

Did find a new wheel on ebay for $250....NOT.

Think I will take a trip to a local salvage yard and look for a replacement wheel and if that fails....off to Wally World I go for a cover. Correction....Wally World first, then to the salvage yard.....rain in forecast for next week.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:27 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough
Old 09-14-2014, 01:16 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

My 2003 2 door looks like the factory forgot to put on the steering wheel cover. It has the look of raw foam rubber, but I am glad it is not falling apart. I was thinking of putting on an aftermarket cover that matched the interior. I never thought of replacing the entire steering wheel like KM346 did. KM, did you retain the airbag as a working feature when you swapped out to a Silverado wheel? How much did you pay for it?

Old 09-14-2014, 05:09 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
KM, did you retain the airbag as a working feature when you swapped out to a Silverado wheel? How much did you pay for it?
I forget what i paid for it but it wasn't much. The older silvys had the same style wheel / airbag as our trucks so it all bolted up fine... Just need to pull the SIR fuse, unclip the airbag and rent/buy a steering wheel puller to remove the wheel. Easy swap.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:07 AM

The steering wheel in my '02 has the radio controls on either side of the air bag; I have not removed the air bag to see if these controls will unbolt and swap to a replacement wheel or I need to get a Silverado wheel with the radio controls...????

Anyone happen to know??

Old 09-16-2014, 09:05 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

KM3 , that is the kind of upgrade I like. It significantly improves the vehicle's appearance, but looks like it could have come from the factory like that. The color matches the interior and everything functions as it should. Thanks for the photo.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:30 AM
Starting Member
TonyZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Help.

My steering wheel is sticky too, but, it's in just fine shape. No cracks or anything.
I hate the stickyness though. I've tried the lighter fluid trick with repeatedly flipping to the clean side of the paper towel. I'm talking doing this shyte for maybe 15 minutes.............and it's STILL half sticky. 6 months later, back to very sticky again. I don't get it. I don't work in some gooey trade in which I get crap on my hands all the time. So what is strong enough to completely remove it from my wheel, without damaging it?? Acetone? My truck is a ZR2 so I thought my wheel is leather, standard? It's shiny, could even look like vinyl.

So does anyone know what my steering wheel is wrapped with?
And what can I remove the stickyness with, safely?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Is Deteriorating