2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Still working on front differential

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 06:28 AM
Beginning Member
BeaterJimmy is on a distinguished road
Default Still working on front differential

Hello all,

I am hoping this gains a bit of traction because I need some advice.

As mentioned in another thread, ever since buying this truck it has sounded like the front passenger wheel bearing was bad. It's very growly and mechanical sounding. Same in 2wd or 4wd. Most noticeable at speed, 15-35mph, and gets louder on hard left turns at speed.

well I replaced the wheel bearing and it fixed nothing. Now it's getting worse. I pulled apart the front end, CV axles look fine. I need to get the front diff out so I can replace a motor mount but I cant get the stupid thing out... working with a couple 18mm open end wrenches with only a few inches of room under the truck. Do I have to remove the upper control arm to make life easier?

I would be beyond pissed if i only replaced the output bearings and it ended up being a pinion bearing - but again, it is very clearly coming from the right side.

Questions being: Any advice on source of noise? & Any advice on getting mounting bolts for the diff loose? If I get it out, should I just go buy a used one from eBay (truck has 225000M on it)?

Old 02-17-2019, 10:59 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Are you having any dash gauge issues by chance? Oil pressure gauge, temp gauge ect...

Old 02-17-2019, 01:10 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Don't think it would be a pinion bearing, since in 2wd the only thing turning in the diff is the spiders.

I can't remember if the upper arm needs to be removed, the lowers will, for sure. If all you have is open/box end wrenches it's gonna suck. You need at least a socket and several extensions. Get an impact, it will make your life so much better

Old 02-18-2019, 05:38 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by go chevy
Are you having any dash gauge issues by chance? Oil pressure gauge, temp gauge ect...
No guage issues, other than the notorious non-working gas guage. Oil pressure is good.

Why do you ask?

Old 02-18-2019, 05:49 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Don't think it would be a pinion bearing, since in 2wd the only thing turning in the diff is the spiders.

I can't remember if the upper arm needs to be removed, the lowers will, for sure. If all you have is open/box end wrenches it's gonna suck. You need at least a socket and several extensions. Get an impact, it will make your life so much better
So I gave up on trying to remove the diff, I'll do the engine mount a different way. I'm glad to hear it's likely not a pinion bearing... but I pulled and replaced all 3 output bearing and those things are tiny... I'm really skeptical they could make the kind of noise I'm hearing. I didnt finish reassembly last night so I'll find out today... maybe my "new" wheel bearing was bad from the factory? It's the hard left turns making the noise worse that really throws me for a loop. If these bearings dont fix it my only other options are it's the CV axel making that noise, or a faulty wheel bearing again.

In regards to the tools, I have an impact and full socket sets (swivel, deep, standard, metric, etc), the problem isnt a lack of tools, it's that it's impossible to get in there with anything other than open end wrenches and at least 1 mounting bolt goes through a rubber bushing that I'm sure is rust welded itself to the bolt shaft. Would be a complete disaster for the home gamer... if I had a torch I'd blow the nut off or cut the bushing out.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:17 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

The noise gets worse on hard left turns? You've changed the passenger wheel bearing, right?

I would look at the cv before you do anything else.

Also, how certain are you it's coming from the front? Maybe it's a rear wheel bearing making the noise?

Old 02-18-2019, 07:33 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
The noise gets worse on hard left turns? You've changed the passenger wheel bearing, right?

I would look at the cv before you do anything else.

Also, how certain are you it's coming from the front? Maybe it's a rear wheel bearing making the noise?
Yep... 2 month old bearing on the front passenger and noise was still there. During disassembly of dif I pulled the CV and while the outer boot as some stress cracks from age there are no full-throughs or wetness around the vicinity. From basic hand-rotating inspection it seems perfectly fine... of course that doesnt mean it IS, but it looks and feels fine. When I say left turns, I mean left turns at speed, like around a bendy road. Sub ~10mph you cant really hear the noise. It isnt the clicky-clunk noise like a typical CV issue, it's a "wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh" noise.

Obviously without a chassis ear I cant be 100% positive, but from the drivers seat it seems to clearly be coming from the front passenger.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:17 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Rotate your tires, see if noise moves, when you described the noise it sounds like a tire to me.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:31 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by odat
Rotate your tires, see if noise moves, when you described the noise it sounds like a tire to me.
Yeah, for poops and giggles I planned on either swapping the front tires when I get it all assembled or moving the FP to RD... if it's a freaking tire and I did all of this.... >_>

But I'd at least he glad I figured it out finally.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:12 AM
Beginning Member

Well, for future google searchers of similar issue I thought I'd post a conclusion... after tearing the entire front end apart and changing output bearings and putting it all back together I swapped the front tires, and I can't be certain, but to me it sounds as if the noise has moved to the passenger side... so yeah, it may only be a freaking tire.

And of course I may just be hyper aware now but there seems to be a new rattle that is driving me nuts. Double checked all the suspension bolts and it's not that... so I have no idea... sweet.

I'm done working on this thing for a bit, lol.

Quick Reply: Still working on front differential